2nd Shift Machine Operator
EMPLOYEES ARE OUR GREATEST ASSET
Privately held, Great Northern is one of the nation’s largest independent producers of corrugated packaging. For more than five decades, customers have turned to Great Northern Corporation for integrated, comprehensive packaging solutions in industrial, commercial and retail markets.
Great Northern exists to live out the core values established by our founders - integrity, personal growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and a shared future.
Our vision, "We help our employees win through personal growth and a shared future” is a call to action to deliver on building a people-centric culture, developing leaders from within, and sending people home fulfilled about their role and contributions. The "win" for everyone is a trusting and collaborative culture that helps us be at our best every day.
Our mission statement, "We help our customers win by doing what others can't or won't” gives us a clear purpose and raises the bar for performance. Doing what others "can't or won't" for our customers is demonstrated by a willingness to serve customers, value-added partnerships and proactively developing innovative solutions to our customer's challenges.
We are excited that you are looking to join our great culture. Here are some details about the position.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition to excellent wages, Great Northern has a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; paid vacation; paid holidays; profit sharing and 401(k) with company match. We also offer our employees a safe, clean, friendly environment and room for growth!
Shift Supervisor/Operations Manager
Operate various pieces of equipment and provide leadership to entire crew to produce the finest quality product at rates and standards consistent with the Company’s desire to be a preferred supplier of cost-effective, top-quality products.
- Operate equipment to meet performance standards and customer satisfaction.
- Lead Team Meetings and be accountable to track performance.
- Coach crew members to meet expectations of safety, quality and productivity.
- Participate and/or lead continuous improvement to enhance the business.
- Ensure efficient staffing for machine, inform supervisor when problems arise.
- Set up computer for daily work load.
- Walk the production floor to ensure work is being performed.
- Communicate well with crew members.
- Monitor glue levels; maintain a clean and efficient glue system.
- Ensure housekeeping for entire machine area.
- Manage quality testing and inspections to minimize waste and prevent shipping unacceptable product.
- Document data collection.
- Be in constant communication with supervisors and crew members.
- Read, edit and maintain production reports.
- Run sample orders and trials as needed.
- Utilize email, sharepoint and other computer functions for adequate communication, SOP instruction and documentation.
- Oversee training of new employees, ensure training checklists are completed and participate in reviews.
- Assist in all phases of machine and department operation as needed for breaks, changes, or special projects.
- Keep up to date with any ongoing machine improvements.
- Maintain cleanliness to ensure safety of all personnel.
- Foster an attitude of lean thinking, sustain improvements and motivate the rest of the crew to not be satisfied with status quo.
- All other reasonable duties as required by management.
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE
- Fulfillment of all job responsibilities successfully by being able to perform each essential duty satisfactory.
- Meeting all customer and Laminations specifications for quality, accuracy and efficiency.
- Compliance with all plant safety rules, general rules and procedures.
- Effectiveness of communication and development of good working relationships with other employees.
- Accurate and timely reports.
- Soundness of decisions made regarding personnel, machinery and equipment, work methods and safety.
- Integrity of confidential employment and business information.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Honesty, fairness, flexibility and tact, as well as possession of the trust and respect of employees, co-workers and management.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organizations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Persons hired are required to be available for 2nd shift - 2:15pm - 10:15pm (Monday - Friday) Overtime is also required which can include 12 hour shifts, some Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
Great Northern is an Equal Opportunity Employer