Accounting Intern – Summer 2024
At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader in bio-based products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture, POET team members enjoy competitive pay and perks including:
- A multifaceted wellness program encompassing the whole person – mentally, physically, and spiritually
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- Safety and cold weather gear, and more!
The POET Never Satisfied Internship openings are for Summer 2024. We post Internships in September with the intent to have interns selected by January 1st each year.
POET Biofuels is a global leader in the energy and agricultural space. We started as a supplier of fuel ethanol, and have grown into a multi-commodity marketing and transportation company providing solutions in fuels, grains, and carbon dioxide markets.
When we show up to work at POET Ethanol Products, it’s our job to meet our customer’s needs as efficiently as possible.
As an Accounting Intern, you will have the chance to work directly with some of our great suppliers and customers of our ethanol, carbon dioxide, and denaturant. You will also memorialize these interactions in our general ledger and supporting systems as your work plays an integral role in maintaining our customer service and cash flow, while also providing the foundation for building our financial statements. Sound intimidating? Don’t worry. If you are a problem solver, detail oriented, a good team player, effective communicator and are looking for an opportunity with a strong, growing company in an exciting industry, we can provide you all the necessary training and tools to be successful.
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- You are working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Masters in Accounting and your GPA is reflective of the quality of work you typically do.
- You understand accounting concepts, financial statements, and have a general understanding of GAAP.
- You communicate effectively. You write well and speak articulately. You are comfortable communicating in writing and over the phone.
- You know the basics of Microsoft’s Office Suite and are capable of learning new programs.
- You like helping people. You’re patient and level-headed. You really enjoy exceeding someone else’s expectations.
- You pay attention to the details but also see the “big picture.” For you, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every time.
- You are a learner, not afraid of taking on new things and stretching yourself. You are not afraid to ask questions, as you’re always looking to improve and help others.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
DURING A TYPICAL DAY
- Generate invoices, review for accuracy, and send to our customers
- Process purchase invoices for payment and load into accounting software
- Reconcile purchase invoices for month-end settlement
- Reconcile provisional price contracts
- Create daily ACH/Wire files
- Assist with vendor maintenance
- Maintain and update process documentation for your job
- Since we are all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skills may be put to a lot of other uses!
GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN POET
At POET we believe in developing our team members to their highest potential and recognizing contributions that add value to the organization. Each new team member’s position and compensation are carefully determined by considering their unique qualifications and skillset.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s part of who we are.
- Culture is king at POET. We are all on the same team. We always communicate. We park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s part of who we are.
- We have an open work environment, with no offices. We are all in this together and we work close together.
- We work hard. We play hard. We have frequent team events, from bowling to BBQ’s to charity activities.
- We also expect that everyone will maintain a healthy work-life balance. It’s the best way to optimize health, happiness and productivity over the long term.
- There is not a lot of physical labor, most of your time in the office will be at a desk. Your longest walk will typically be to a meeting or to the break room to help yourself to one of the gourmet coffee\espresso selections or a piece of fresh fruit.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to complete the online application and submit a resume and cover letter explaining why they seem to be well-suited for the opening. www.poet.com/careers
If you want to learn more about us, please visit us at www.poet.comID:uDnQdo