Advisory Embedded Software Engineer – Linux BSP
ZOLL Medical Corp.
The Cardiac Management Solutions division of ZOLL Medical Corporation develops products to protect and manage cardiac patients, including the LifeVest® wearable cardioverter defibrillator (WCD), the ZOLL cardiac monitor, and associated technologies.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. At ZOLL, your work will help to ensure cardiac patients get the life-saving therapy they need. To date, the LifeVest WCD has been worn by hundreds of thousands of patients and saved thousands of lives.
ZOLL has been Pittsburgh’s Manufacturer of the Year, one of Western PA’s Healthiest Employers, and even one of Pittsburgh’s Coolest Offices. But it’s our unique opportunity to impact people’s lives that makes ZOLL the ideal place to build your career.
Lead engineer responsible for the complete development lifecycle for embedded software that runs our life-saving medical devices. This includes design, implementation, debug, test and post-production support in a regulated environment. Additional responsibilities include development and maintenance of design documentation, participation in technical reviews, work planning and estimation, and providing technical support to other internal cross-functional groups. May also lead research, design and technical feasibility projects. The Advisory Software Engineer is an individual of high professional expertise recognized within engineering as an expert in a particular field.
Duties and responsibilities
- Designs, implements, debugs, tests and documents software for microprocessors in bare-metal, embedded Linux, or real-time operating system (RTOS) environments
- Develops the fundamental architecture of software systems
- Designs and implements software unit tests, integration tests and system tests
- Leads and contributes to software process and quality efforts including source control, code reviews, design reviews, project planning, estimation and software release activities
- Troubleshoots software-related field issues and implements software fixes
- Leads and supports sustaining engineering and corrective action activities
- Researches new products, tools, components, technologies and processes; develops and demonstrates prototypes, and recommends a course of action
- Leads and supports continuous improvement activities including tool selection and process improvements
- B.S. or M.S. degree or equivalent industry experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline
- Typically 10-15 years related industry experience with embedded software development with progressively increasing responsibility, including a track record of successful project completion
- Experience using C and/or C++ for embedded software development (C++ preferred)
- Experience with embedded software development tools such as Integrated Development Environments (IDEs), debuggers and development kits
- Experience with microprocessor architectures and peripherals
- Experience applying software development and software quality practices
- Experience with project management and technical leadership on small software projects (preferred)
- Experience applying industry and regulatory standards governing software quality (preferred)
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Bash (preferred)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is generally performed in a typical office environment that is usually quiet. Employee is expected to work collaboratively with team members, as well as able to work independently with limited supervision. The position requires significant computer work.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The position does not have any direct reports; however the employee may act as a technical lead for a small embedded software development team.
- Provide technical and quality direction to team
- Identify and communicate resource needs, including people, facilities and equipment
- Identify and communicate technical and schedule risks; recommend and implement mitigations
- Collaborate with peer technical leads for system lifecycle activities
- Provide feedback for performance reviews
ZOLL is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace, where unique identities, backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences are respected and valued.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Disability and Veteran