Agricultural Specialist I/II – ISRF Central Iowa Farms
Iowa State University
Position Title:Agricultural Specialist I/II - ISRF Central Iowa Farms
Job Group:Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor’s degree
Preferred Qualifications:Bachelor's degree in agricultural discipline.
Experience related to field agricultural research in U.S. corn belt.
Skill in operating farm equipment such as tractors, sprayers, and combines.
Experience maintaining and fabricating agricultural machinery.
Experience installing, maintaining, and operating precision ag equipment.
Experience with construction and maintenance of agricultural buildings.
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A
Commercial pesticide applicators certification
The Iowa State University Research Farms is currently seeking applicants for an Agricultural Specialist I/II.
The ISU Research Farms consist of 12 staffed locations statewide that conduct site-specific agricultural research and demonstrations. The Ag Specialist will assist with managing agronomic research and demonstration activities and bulk crop production at the ISU Central Iowa Farm, Ames IA.
Responsibilities for the Agricultural Specialist include assisting with agriculture field research related to crops, soils, mechanics, and structures along with demonstration activities, assisting with planning and conducting field research trials related to corn, soybeans, soils, and accurately collecting data and assisting farm managers and project leaders, assisting with farm equipment design, fabrication, modification, and repair including metal work, hydraulics, electrical, electronics, and global positioning systems.
Multiple positions are available. Posting will remain open until filled.
Example of Duties
• Collects, records, and summarizes research data.
• Manages and coordinates a set of agricultural resources.
• Implements research protocols.
• Contributes to experimental design, management, and analysis.
• Consults with project leaders on experiments, protocol, and progress.
• Monitors and oversees machinery and property maintenance and repair.
• Operate machinery and precision systems.
• Individual contributor position with developing professional and/or technical skills working under immediate to general supervision
• Grasps professional-level knowledge and concepts of field while working in a progressive learning mode
• Works on problems and issues of somewhat limited scope
• Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data for which answers are available or can be obtained
• Responds to inquiries and issues, escalating to manager or higher level workers as appropriate
• May lead projects of limited scope and complexity
• May provide guidance to students
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
• This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.