Ammonia Refrigeration Technician
C&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc.
Position OverviewThe primary purpose of this position is to: Oversee and manage the safe operation, daily monitoring and maintenance of large scale industrial anhydrous ammonia and/or R-22 refrigeration systems. Oversee the safe ope ration, daily monitoring and maintenance of industrial and office HVAC systems. Provide assistance to Manager of Facilities Maintenance to ensure assets (Refrigeration/HVAC/Electrical systems) are managed in accordance with the following: IIAR (International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration), ASHRE (American Society of HVAC and Refrigeration Engineers), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), EPA, OSHA and applicable State and Local Codes. This position requires Certified Industrial Refrigeration Operator (CIRO) RETA certification or equivalent experience.
- Oversee and manage Refrigeration, Electrical, and HVAC systems including monitoring and trending, troubleshooting and repairs (Compressors, condensers, fans, heating, cooling, contactors, motors, microprocessors, frequency drives, etc.). Make decisions regarding operating strategies, setpoints and limits. Optimize system operations for improved cost and reliability.
- Schedule and perform major repairs and rebuilds (excluding compressor rebuilds). Recommend system upgrades and improvements. Perform system inspections and mechanical integrity checks. Participate extensively in the Process Safety Management and Risk Management programs. Perform complex troubleshooting.
- Oversee or inspect system construction / installation activities. Coordinate shutdowns and pumpdowns. Administer preventative and predictive maintenance systems. Responsible for daily communication of all pertinent information regarding system operation and maintenance to departmental management and maintenance teams.
- Responsible for housekeeping and clean up of refrigeration machine rooms, refrigeration maintenance areas, and all project areas on a daily basis. Required to interpret and understand plans and specifications, schematics, operating and maintenance manuals, etc. for svstems being overseen.
- Assist management in developing standard operating procedures, daily work schedules, and duty cycles for all repairs and maintenance for refrigeration and HVAC systems. Assist in managing outside mechanical and refrigeration contractors conducting service, repair and new contract work. Assist management in creation of budgets for individual projects, yearly capital and yearly operating expenses.
- This position will also assist the building and material handling equipment maintenance teams. Duties will include assisting in general building repairs, electrical troubleshooting and repairs, forklift repair and maintenance, changing and servicing lift batteries, and other general maintenance activities.
- Travel Required:No
- Warehouse : Perishable Warehouse (28F to 60F)
- Specialized Knowledge : Specialized Knowledge Needed For Performance of Job: Ammonia Refrigeration & CFC Certification
- Special Skills : Glycol Systems, computer systems operating platform, HAZMAT, advanced skills in electrical systems
- Physical abilities: : Site inspections, equipment inspections, mechanical repairs and replacements, all which require good mobility, physical exertion, walking, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, carrying tools and parts, etc.
- Other: : OSHA, Good Manufacturing Processes, PSM, RMP
- Problem Solving Ammonia Incident: : a) Assessment of issue and impact to business model b) Communicate issue and impact to Maintenance and Facility Management and Senior Director of Corporate Refrigeration c) Co-develop team and plan for immediate issue abatement and remediation d) Co-develop team and plan for final issue abatement and remediation including associated schedule and costs
- Decision Making: : Decisions are made in alignment with established corporate protocol and standard operating procedures as required to maintain operations, issue resolution and improved cost saving and efficiencies in support of operations. If decisions are within operating/capital budgets, local and state guidelines, standard industry practices, and guidelines mentioned above employee is accountable to make the necessary changes.
Years Of Experience
- 7-10 : Candidate will obtain OSHA Level A Hazmat Certification (24Hours, Medical Certification) within 90 days of employment. They must also be able to wear a full face air purifying respirator and pass a fit test. Candidate must be willing to be on call for after-hours refrigeration issues. Review semi-annual service reports and make recommendations for corrective action of all action items. Assist Corporate Refrigeration Team in annual capital budget planning.
QualificationsCertified Industrial Refrigeration Operator (CIRO) - Refrigerating Engineers & Technicians Association, KPIs, Safety & Sanitiation, Technical Certification - General Studies, Training & Development, Values & Teamwork, Warranty
Shift1st Shift (United States of America)
CompanyC&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc.
About Our Company
C&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc. , based in Keene, NH, is the largest wholesale grocery supply company in the U.S. and the industry leader in supply chain innovation. Founded in 1918 as a supplier to independent grocery stores, C&S now services customers of all sizes, supplying more than 6,000 independent supermarkets, chain stores, military bases, and institutions with over 150,000 different products. At C&S, We Select the Best® – those with the motivation, pride, and drive to succeed in our fast-paced world.
Working Safely is a Condition of Employment at C&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc. C&S Wholesale Grocers is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.