Assistant Director, Marketing
Sapling Learning, Inc.
New York, NY
Tor Publishing Group, a division of Macmillan Publishers, is seeking an Assistant Director, Marketing for TPG’s flagship imprint Tor Books. The Assistant Director will develop and execute title marketing campaigns and will be responsible for major high-profile releases for bestselling and award-winning authors in the sci-fi/fantasy space. Additionally, they will contribute to day-to-day imprint operations in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and
oversee campaigns for select titles. We are seeking an experienced, data-driven, strategic marketer with strong interpersonal skills and an interest in marketing operations, processes, and streamlining. The Assistant Director will report to the Director of Marketing and will manage the Tor Books Assistant. Experience in sci-fi/fantasy and genre publishing is a plus but not required.
What you'll do:
- Develop, execute, and analyze integrated marketing campaigns for trade and consumer audiences with little oversight as lead marketer for assigned titles, with a focus on high-profile, priority authors and TPG’s flagship imprint Tor Books
- Work collaboratively across departments, including publishing, marketing, publicity, and sales, to brainstorm and carry out cohesive campaigns
- Identify target audiences and how to reach them through advertising, promotion, and social media
- Create strategic, data-driven, and multi-tiered paid media campaigns in collaboration with TPG’s ad/promo department
- Present ideas and plans, communicate campaign activity, and report on results and analytics to internal and external stakeholders including publishers, authors, and agents
- Allocate and maintain per title marketing budgets
- Support the Director of Marketing in imprint management for Tor Books, including contributing to:
- Maintaining team accountability to deadlines
- Auditing and managing the imprint budget
- Directing seasonal and round-up promotions
- Strategy and positioning discussions
- Analyzing campaign effectiveness and seeking additional promotional opportunities based on sales success
- Oversee title marketing for Tor Books backlist titles, including coaching junior lead marketers
- Manage one direct report (Tor Books Marketing Assistant)
What You’ll Bring:
- Fluency in effective book publishing marketing strategies and an eagerness to stay up-to-date on new/modern methods and techniques
- Experience planning robust, targeted paid media campaigns with a focus on ROI, consumer data, and conversions
- Strong management, leadership, and mentoring skills; the ability to communicate empathetically with colleagues at all levels
- Comfort making decisions while remaining open to feedback, challenges, and new ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to navigate large stakeholder teams
- Good understanding of sales data, retailer relationships, and the book market
- Top-notch organization, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask and work independently
- 7-8+ years experience in marketing and book publishing
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of and/or enthusiasm for the sci-fi / fantasy category and genre publishing a plus, but not required
This role will have an annual salary of $90,000-$95,000.
Macmillan Publishers is the U.S. trade division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. Its publishing companies include prominent imprints around the world that publish a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, The St. Martin's Publishing Group, and Tor Publishing Group. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.