Associate Director, High Risk Work & Safety Programs CoE
West Point, PA
Associate Director, High Risk Work & Safety Programs CoE
An exciting opportunity is available for a talented safety professional to join the Global Safety Center of Excellence (CoE) team as an Associate Director, Safety Programs CoE. This individual will be responsible for the management of corporate Contractor Management and High Risk Work safety programs including Elevated Work, Live Electrical, Hot Work and Confined Space Entry. They will provide technical safety expertise to global manufacturing sites, research laboratories and project teams.
Position may be located at any company site.
Specific objectives include:
- Provide technical safety guidance and advise on safety regulations to support a compliant workplace.
- Develop and manage company’s safety standards and technical guidelines to ensure compliance and reduction in workplace safety risks.
- Lead global continuous improvement initiatives to improve global safety programs.
- Building safety and EHS capabilities by simplifying existing and creating new systems and tools that enables our customers to adapt safety requirements into daily operations.
- Being a change agent to ensure all changes to standards, guidelines, systems and tools achieve the desired outcome.
- Partner with regional and site EHS personnel to implement effective safety programs through communication tools, training, and project plans.
- Evaluate, monitor and communicate the effectiveness of safety programs and provide solutions to address gaps.
- Promote industry practices that can improve safety performance, strengthen compliance and further minimize safety risks.
- Provide support and expert advice to divisions and sites to control safety hazards for manufacturing, research and office personnel.
- Conduct safety program reviews at company facilities across the globe.
- Audit safety records and prepare supporting data for required government, industry and management reports.
Required Experience and Skills:
To excel in this role, you will more than likely have:
- Technical primary bachelor’s degree with a post grad safety qualification.
- 10+ years EHS experience in highly regulated industry e.g., Oil and Gas, Pharma
- Demonstrated ability to influence senior leaders on safety matters
- Ability to manage complex programs and support multiple activities/projects
- Experience in successfully implementing safety programs
- Model a strong compliance mindset
- Willingness to grow and learn in other areas within the Safety Programs CoE (and provide back-up to others in Safety Programs CoE when needed)
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team
- Written and oral communication skills that support presentation of information clearly and concisely for all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience in both strategy development and tactical execution
- Demonstrated excellence in Project Management.
- Experience in organizational change management (transformation) and continuous improvement.
- Highly independent and able to foresee issues and needs of the organization.
- Business acumen.
- Capability to make rapid and disciplined decisions and to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Capability to distill large quantities of complex data into simple messages
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separationpackage, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Under New York State, Colorado State, Washington State, and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:$118,640.00 - $186,800.00
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Hybrid
Valid Driving License:No
Hazardous Material(s):n/a ID:uDnQdo