Auto Diesel Mechanic
Oconee County Rock Quarry
Job posted until filled.
Starting salary is $37,432/yr.
The purpose of this position is to ensure the safety and reliability of County owned vehicles. Diagnose and perform mechanical repairs ranging from light automotive, to heavy duty trucks and equipment. Maintain vehicles by servicing at regular intervals, and certify vehicles are in fit condition to operate according to federal and state guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Perform welding and fabrication work as needed.
- Diagnose and repair vehicles, trucks, and heavy equipment.
- Provide emergency field assistance to disabled vehicles.
- Perform a variety of preventive maintenance duties as scheduled, including oil changes, lubrication, replace belts and hoses, brakes, check lights, and tune-ups.
- Conduct road tests after repairs are completed to ensure vehicles are mechanically safe and function properly.
- Install special equipment on heavy trucks and equipment.
- Maintain records of work completed and parts used.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and orderly shop.
- Obtain parts from vendors as necessary.
- Repair, rotate, or replace tires.
- Perform body work and painting as needed.
- Replace engines, fuel systems, electronic controls, electrical systems, brake systems, HVAC systems, drive train and differentials.
- Repair emergency and law enforcement vehicles and equipment and install and maintain specialized equipment.
- Wash and clean vehicles and equipment prior to maintenance.
- Attend training and meetings to enhance job knowledge and skills.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.
Additional duties include:
- As assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with computers;
- Ability to work with torches, plasma cutters, and welding equipment;
- Ability to use hydraulic press and drill press equipment;
- Ability to understand technical manuals, charts, schematics, and diagrams;
- Ability to operate diagnostic computers and scanners;
- Ability to operate hand and pneumatic tools, volt meters, and HVAC equipment;
- Advanced mathematical skills
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Advanced math skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- The educational requirement for this position is: Completion of high school/GED.
- Education may not be substituted for experience.
- Related-experience required: 2 years
- Experience may be substituted for education.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications required for this position include:
- CDL Driver’s license
- Annual blood borne pathogen classes.
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications preferred for this position include:
- ASE CERTIFICATION
- EVT CERTIFICATIONS
- POWER INDUSTRIAL TRUCK CERTIFICATION.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical activities required for this position involve:
Standing: over 2/3 of the time; walking: over 2/3 of the time; sitting: under 1/3 of the time; using hands: over 2/3 of the time; reaching with hands and arms: over 2/3 of the time; climbing or balancing: over 2/3 of the time; stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling: over 2/3 of the time; talking or hearing: over 2/3 of the time; and, tasting or smelling: under 1/3 of the time.
This position requires lifting:
Up to 10 pounds: over 2/3 of the time; up to 25 pounds: 2/3 of the time; up to 50 pounds: 2/3 of the time; up to 100 pounds: under 1/3 of the time; and, more than 100 pounds: 1/3 of the time.
This position has the following special vision requirements:
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
- Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
- Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up or down or to the left and right when vision is fixed on a given point)
- Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
- Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
The following physical conditions and hazards may be encountered while working in this position:
- Indoor environment
- Outdoor environment
- Extreme temperatures
- Moisture and/or humidity
- Poor ventilation
- Electrical hazards
- Mechanical hazards
- Chemical hazards
- Explosive hazards
- Burn hazards
- Bio hazardous waste
- Moving mechanical parts
- Working in high places
Oconee County is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to achieving excellence and strength through diversity. The County seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that one of our core values, a qualified and diverse workforce, will be affirmed.