Automation Engineer II
Cooper Machinery Services
Job Title: Automation Engineer II
FLSA Status: Exempt - Salaried
Group: Regular – Full Time
Location: Houston, TX
About Cooper Machinery Services:
Cooper Machinery Services provides natural gas compression equipment and services to customers globally in the Oil & Gas, Power, Transportation, and Marine sectors. With a proud heritage dating back to 1833, Cooper Machinery Services is the OEM for legendary product lines including Cooper-Bessemer™, Ajax™, Superior™, Gemini, TSI, CSI, Enterprise, and Joy. Headquartered in Houston, TX, but with commercial and services hubs around the world, Cooper Machinery Services provides world-class services to more than 22,000 units in its installed base.
Our strength is our people. Each employee plays an integral role in our success and growth. With a commitment to our vision that strong relationships drive strong results and better business, our people make Cooper Machinery Services legendary.
Electrical / Controls / Automation Engineer responsible for all aspects of specifying, designing, configuring, testing, supervision during manufacturing, and software development of control systems. Will work as a technical reference within the Engineering group and be responsible for automation, instrumentation, and control system integration/development. Will aid in installation and support of PLC based hardware and software. Communicate effectively with clients and co-workers, and works well with others, will report to the Automation Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop PLC and HMI applications to meet project specifications.
- Plans, evaluates, organizes, and implements automation related projects and initiatives.
- Develop and coordinate electrical drawings with the Drafting department.
- Develop Electrical Bill of Materials.
- Travel to customer sites as required for training and troubleshoot issues.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and upgrade legacy PLC and HMI software applications.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally (sometimes greater than 50% travel during a year)
- Knowledge of requirements for equipment and installation in hazardous areas (ATEX, IECEx, NEC, NFPA etc.) is a plus.
- Hands on experience with electrical systems (preferred).
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or relevant Engineering degree and/or equivalent of 8 years of experience in Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years direct experience in Electrical, Automation, and Process Control in the Oil & Gas industry preferred.
- Solid proficiency of developing Rockwell Software and FactoryTalk suite of programming products is required.
- Ethernet TCP/IP setup and communications of 3rd party hardware.
- Self-starter who takes initiative is a requirement.
- Installation and commissioning experience is a plus.
- Maintaining, modifying, and upgrading existing control systems is a plus.
- Proficient using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Visio, and Excel.
- Willing to travel 30%-50% of the time.
- Must have legal U.S. working authorization.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess ability to multi-task and handle multiple deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Customer and community focus.
- Honesty and Integrity.
Cooper Machinery Services is an equal opportunity employer and gives all qualified applicants consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, any other characteristic protected by law.