Automation Engineer III
Nabors is a leading provider of advanced technology for the energy industry. With operations in about 20 countries, Nabors has established a global network of people, technology and equipment to deploy solutions that deliver safe, efficient and responsible hydrocarbon production. By leveraging its core competencies, particularly in drilling, engineering, automation, data science and manufacturing, Nabors aims to innovate the future of energy and enable the transition to a lower carbon world.
Nabors is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. To learn more about our Fair Employment practices, please refer to the Nabors Code of Conduct.
The Automation Engineer III will be part of a Controls team developing automated/robotic equipment for the drilling industry. This position will focus on new product development projects, interface with customers in various stages of the project, be a mentor to junior engineers and provide technical consulting, develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles, and provide level 3 technical support to external and internal customers.
Will be responsible for project success as part of a project team, ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed, interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems, and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as Controls and Automation engineer with role of designing and developing software for automated machinery based on given requirements and specification. Have a good understanding of machine controls which include induction motor control using AC Drives, servo motor control, MCCs, hydraulic/pneumatics.
- Control software development will include developing machine control algorithms for PLC based systems. HMI design and implementation, instrumentation and sensor interface, data logging, and communication interfaces with other industrial processors like PLC’s.
- Duties will include software architecture design, PLC Code, HMI applications, Bill of Materials, Network Architectures, Operations manuals.
- Responsible of sustaining current rig applications and debugging / fixing issues that are reported in the field. This could be by answering calls and working with technicians, remotely connecting to rig system and troubleshoot, or by traveling to the rig site and working with rig personnel to fix the issue.
- Commissioning of new products during deployment
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Technical consultant to business stake holders, assist in gathering requirements from customers.
- Maintain product safety in all designs.
- Perform design prototyping, including field implementing and testing.
- Support management on intellectual property issues.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering from recognized University
· 10 to 15 years experience in an engineering environment, developing controls and automation software in Beckhoff and/or Rockwell systems
· Previous experience with controlling automated machines using Beckhoff automation.
· Experience in the drilling industry
- Strong field troubleshooting skills
- Effective communication skills both verbal & written, both 1-1 and group situations
- Situational leadership
- Time management
- PLC : Beckhoff TwinCAT 3 (IEC 61131-3), RSlogix 5000
- HMI: TwinCAT HMI
- Understanding of Hydraulics/Pneumatics,
- AC drives and servo controls (SIEMENS/ABB/Converteam/Yaskawa)
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols, including OPC, MODBUS, EtherCAT, Ethernet IP, and required.
- Software architecture design and development experience
- Ability to read electrical schematics.
- Understanding of various communication protocols Profibus, Modbus, OPC, ethernetIP, etc.
- Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills
- Project management and presentation skills
- Ability to extract and document requirements from user problem description
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- While this position is primarily based in a professional office environment
- Travel to yards and rigs is essential and required
- 25% travel is expected
- The position supports drilling rigs that work 24/7 and will routinely require phone availability outside regular work hours