CDL Driver Apprentice – $2,000 Hiring Bonus!!
The CDL Driver Apprentice will obtain a Commercial Driving Permit and complete the Federally required CDL instruction and training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle providing service to customers in their respective Line of Business (LOB) while working alongside a knowledgeable Casella Waste Driver Trainer. The incumbent will continue in the apprentice role until all training requirements are completed and they have passed the CDL licensing exam and road test.
Are you ready to begin your career as a Casella Driver and commit to the successful completion of a CDL program? Casella will cover all costs associated with the training program and provide you an onboarding and cultural experience at our Home Office in Rutland, VT, where the company was founded in 1975!
Drivers at Casella participate in a Career Pathways Program that offers exceptional Advancement Opportunity, Regular Merit Increases, and Safety Bonus Incentives.
- Performs pre/post trip inspections of assigned vehicle in accordance with Casella safety standards as well as state and federal regulations; ensures all safety equipment and devices are operational and secured properly in vehicle; maintains appearance of truck in accordance with company standards.
- Performs and exhibits dedication to safe operation of roll rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks on streets, highways, customer sites, and construction sites.
- Provides a distinguishably different level of service through courteous interactions with all customers and provides service in a timely manner; exhibits a positive attitude towards company, customer and municipal goals.
- Follows route assignments and completes end of day documentation; completes all assigned company and federally mandated paperwork accurately.
- Completes assigned route sheet for one Line of Business (LOB); empties all receptacles, places bins serviced at any location back where they were picked up in the upright position and cleans area around accidental waste spills.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs and meetings as required by Casella or Manager.
- Notifies Dispatch immediately of any customer requests, service interruptions, incidents, accidents, property damage, or unsafe situations.
- Always exhibits an ability to be observant and aware of surroundings and is mindful of all laborers on the truck and demonstrates an ability to use problem solving skills.
- Assists driver with all backing maneuvers while on route.
- Participates in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company, products, sales and services and performs any other duties needed to help drive our vision, fulfill our mission, and/or abide by our core values.
Career Path Definitions & Distinctions
Apprentice: Completes training for Helper safety (Rear Load Residential), customer service training and required training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle while providing service to customers in their line of business. Obtains CDL Permit.Class I Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 1 Line of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to one of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks.Class II Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 2 Lines of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to two of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks. Shows a development of improvement of communication skills with customers and coworkers. Exhibits evidence of increased knowledge of the company and industry. Illustrates an ability to be a mentor to new employees.Class III Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 3 Lines of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to three of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks. Demonstrates an increased effort of providing positive contributions to the community on behalf of the community. Displays a capability to participate in training and development of new employees.Lead Driver: Demonstrates the ability to develop driver training plans and coach employees to achieve successful outcomes. Exhibits the ability to complete assigned route sheets for all lines of business. Provides courteous customer service and communicates professionally with. Actively participates in the company’s progress with the career paths program and helps drivers to move up in their careers.
Education, Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a High School Diploma or GED, must be at least 18 years of age, hold a state issued standard CDL Driver’s Class B permit with air brake endorsement or has the ability to get one within 6 months and must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The physical ability to handle objects more than 75lbs is expected frequently throughout the day and work under many different weather conditions is expected. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, effective listening and problem-solving skills, and dedication to providing excellent customer service is desired. It is also important that the candidate has demonstrated the ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment.
This position requires successful completion of pre-employment testing, including a drug screen.
Positive, team-oriented individual who is disciplined, dependable, determined, focused on delivering excellent customer service, and is open to personal and professional training and development.