Child Development Laboratory School Director
Iowa State University
Position Title:Child Development Laboratory School Director
Job Group:Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of related experience
Preferred Qualifications:Master’s degree in related field w/minimum 24 early childhood education credit hours
9 college credit hours in program administration or a principal’s credential
At least 1 year of full-time experience as an early childhood program administrator
Experience providing formal supervision and training
Early Childhood Education Licensure
Experience that demonstrates familiarity with NAEYC and IQ4K accreditation
Experience with program quality, early childhood curriculum, and assessment
Experience teaching at the college level
The Child Development Laboratory School is currently seeking applications for Program Director. This position will be responsible for the overall administrative operations including developing and maintaining fiscal reports, budget and projections, facilities, annual program reports and accreditation reviews. This position also supervises Lab School teachers and staff, who provide early care and education to children birth to age 5, including children with special needs for inclusive programming; maintains childcare licensing; serves on department/college committees; and teaches department undergraduate courses.
The school is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and maintains an Iowa Quality Rating System (IQ4K) rating of level 4.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to work cooperatively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, university students and parents. Responsible for managing the overall operations a high-quality early care and education program in the university setting, including fiscal management, supervision and leadership of staff, oversight of the ISU student experience as a practicum and observation site, and includes undergraduate teaching responsibilities, as assigned.
The Child Development Laboratory School at Iowa State University is part of the Department of Human Development and Family Studies in the College of Human Sciences at Iowa State University and offers exceptional care and education for young children. Since 1924, our staff has been providing rich learning environments, multicultural classrooms, and high standards of education to infants, toddlers, and preschoolers and is a top-rated early childcare facility. The Child Development Laboratory School also provides exceptional training to undergraduate students in the Early Childhood Education program through multiple practicum experiences.
Example of Duties
• Prioritizes and assigns tasks for effective use of team resources.
• Monitors one or more programs to ensure that implementation and prescribed activities are carried out in accordance with the objectives of the university.
• Oversees budget and ensures that the programs meet the overall objectives of the university.
• Resolves escalated performance issues and recommends schedule changes, cost adjustments or resource additions.
• Leads project management activities.
• Aware of key annual objectives of department or work unit
• Understands linkage between daily activities and achievement of annual objectives of department/work unit and explains to direct reports
• Focus on ISU’s mission and meeting department or work unit goals
• Supervises a small department or work team
• Often is a working supervisor with direct, previous experience performing work of those supervised
• Has full management responsibility for direct reports, specifically the authority to hire, fire, and counsel; may share part of responsibility with higher level management
• Requests approval for financial actions beyond a limited scope per policy
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
This position is open until filled
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program