Community Support Specialist
Skills Unlimited, Inc.
The Community Support Specialist (CSS) provides training in independent living skills, including how to be responsible tenants and maintain psychiatric stability. The CSS assists the Program Supervisor in implementing agency policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the people we support to help them identify and realize their personal life goals
- Ensures fire safety equipment is in working condition and teaches individuals to utilize this equipment.
- Teaches individuals who to contact for emergencies including, but not limited to, medical, psychiatric, fire, lack of food, etc.
- Assists individuals in utilizing community/neighborhood services.
- Acts as a liaison between individuals, landlords, and various treatment team members.
- Teaches independent living skills necessary to sustain individuals in the community and prevent homelessness such as: apartment maintenance, socialization skills, budgeting, self-medication, personal care, travel training, shopping, cooking, and returning to school or the work force.
- Develops Individualized Support Plans in conjunction with individuals and treatment teams; encourages follow through on all goals in areas including but not limited to: housing stability, medication management, employment and vocational training, mental health treatment services, drug and alcohol assessment and referral, and referrals for community-based services.
- Encourages and supports individuals to maintain psychiatric stability through counseling, crisis intervention, attending a daytime activity, participating in treatment, and utilizing other available resources.
- Works with Health Home to ensure coordination of all services (Psychiatric & Physical)
- Assists individuals in complying with mandated treatment, such as AOT order specifications, and legal mandates, such as conditions of parole or probation.
- Ensure that all required documentation is completed /processed appropriately and in a timely manner
Duties and Responsibilities:
Community integration skill-building services: direct training and supports to assist individuals with community integration, including community resource coordination, treatment planning, and rehabilitative independent living skills training to help individuals transitioning into housing
Stabilization services: direct services and supports to assist individuals living in a community setting, including tenancy support planning, rehabilitative independent living skills training, community resources coordination, and crisis planning and intervention to help individuals remain in housing
- Always communicate in a respectful manner with all people including the people we support, supervisors, other valued team members, and members of the community
- Support, attend and participate in all required events/ meetings/ reviews/ committees
- Maintain the confidentiality of any information relating to individuals and employees of the organization
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Work Experience, and Competencies
- Associate Degree in a Human Services field required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two full years of experience supporting mental health population may substitute for Associate Degree requirement
- Experience working with individuals diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse disorders preferred
- Valid NYS driver’s license and satisfy criteria to be a driver for FREE
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with flexibility, keeping others informed and anticipating needs is essential
- Must be efficient, well organized, and have excellent communication skills
- Employee is required to sit, walk and stand for prolonged period of time (at least 8 hours)
- Employee is required to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Employee is required to operate standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fax and filing cabinets
- Employee is required to bend, stoop, kneel, crouch or stand on a stool as needed
- Employee is required to be able to occasionally lift 25 pounds at a time