The Compliance Specialist position is responsible for monitoring and maintaining approvals and regulatory compliance for the beneficial use and disposal of municipal and industrial waste streams, while staying current with environmental regulations pertaining to the waste industry. The Compliance Specialist coordinates with Casella’s Logistics and Special Waste Teams to optimize where materials can be directed in order to provide strategic solutions to customers and be a resource on environmental and regulatory affairs.
- Ensures that customers material removal schedules are met daily and adjusts schedules as necessary to adapt to any changes.
- Communicates with sale's person or team to ensure that deliveries are completed in a timely manner and meets the customers expectations.
- Performs routine audits of customers analytical data, test methods, waste generation process, and record keeping ensuring Casella services and operations comply with all applicable permits and regulations
- Responds to incoming communications from customers operational staff, builds relationships, and solves routine problems.
- Organizes and determines daily load schedules and distributes plans to meet obligations and expectations of multiple interested parties.
- Administers equipment and environmental sampling programs to ensure customer sampling aligns with all policies and programs.
- Provides both internal and external audits in order to comply with programs, permits, and special waste regulations.
- Collaborates with end sites for daily delivery times, track success rates of meeting the schedule, report information back and troubleshoot delivery issues with operational staff or commodity/product customers.
- Prepares permit applications, quarterly and annual regulatory reports, and other technical documents as may be necessary to support the business including third party special waste for all landfill renewals and approvals.
- Tracks and monitors inventory at certain internal and external customer locations to assure material removal schedules match with desired inventory levels.
- Composes and maintains accurate and accessible records of schedules, dispatch activities, and completed deliveries to ensure available materials are available when needed.
- Assists in the preparation of special waste characterization profiles, 3rd party and intercompany outlet approvals, regulatory reports, and other technical documents as necessary to support customers.
- Participates in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company, products, sales, and services and performs any other duties needed to help drive our vision, fulfill our mission, and/or abide by our core values.
Education, Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate will have an associates degree or equivalent experience, 3-5 years of customer service experience, a history of succeeding in collaborative environments, and be legally eligible to work in the US. A valid drivers license is required, as well as the ability to travel 10% of the time for periodic overnight regional meetings. A bachelors degree or equivalent experience, with interest in an environmental and/or sustainability field are preferred.
A demonstrated success of meeting customers needs and an ability to work on a team to achieve desired results are expected. Strong interpersonal skills, excellence at solving routine problems and aptitude for using data to measure service success are needed.
Organized, customer-focused individual who can see the larger picture while focusing on detailed information and is consistent, able to manage time well, responsible, proactive and is able to communicate well with others.