Component Design & Development Engineer
Fuyao Glass America
Fuyao Automotive North America Incorporated (FANA) is in the general warehousing and glass manufacturing industry in Plymouth MI. We provide automotive glass for the North America market and currently have glass manufacturing relationships with some of the top automotive manufacturers in North America including GM, Honda, Chrysler, Kia, BMW and Hyundai. We operate several production lines for a variety of vehicle models from each of these automotive manufacturers.
Our Parent Company
Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co. Ltd. (FYG) is a leading international manufacturer of automotive and industrial glass located in the Republic of China. The company has been listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange since 1993 and employs more than 8,000 people in China, Hong Kong, Europe, Australia, Russia and the United States. Being the largest automotive glass supplier in China, FYG controls over 60% share of Chinese OEM market and over 30% share of Chinese replacement market. Fuyao customers in China are some of the leading automotive manufacturers in the world including GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Volkswagen, Citroen, and Mercedes-Benz to name a few.
COMPONENT DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The primary role of the Component Design & Development Engineer is to design components for production line processes and develop products in accordance with quality standards. This also includes process debugging and quality control.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and development of production line and automation.
- Develop component material/nut supplier locally and in China.
- Co-Design components with product designer.
- Develop mold/checking fixture and End of Arm Tool (EOAT) for new program.
- Coordinates the manufacturing launch of new or revised products including training team members and following up with results.
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement and efficiency improvement.
- Develop and revise documents such as process flow, working instruction, PFMEA, control plan, DFMEA.
- Develop and maintain documentation such as in-process check, downtime, scrap and efficiencies.
- Utilize data such as downtime, scrap and efficiencies to plan countermeasures for process, equipment, material or headcount solutions
- Leads or participates in activities to ensure continuous improvement in processes, products, components, raw materials, and equipment.
- Develop new raw materials to improve process in efficiency, quality or cost.
- Control the component production schedule and quality.
- Set up the component technical and production team.
- Support customer product audit.
- Address customer issues.
- New program tooling debugging and trouble shooting.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
- Problem analysis and trouble-shot resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to motivate team efforts to accomplish goals.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates between manufacturing and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines as well as interfacing with the operation of machinery on the floor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Occasional travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Min. Bachelor’s degree, Chemical engineering, Mechanical engineering or similar.
- Experience in plastics process and design.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Catia or UG. MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bilingual, mandarin.
Preferred Education and Experience
With three or more years’ experience in plastics process and designing, Master’s degree and/or combination of education and experience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.