Component Manufacturing Manager
This position is responsible for managing and defining the processes, people, and equipment associated with internally manufactured components. The primary responsibilities will be to define, measure, analyze, and improve performance against manufacturing KPI’s including aspects related to machining talent development and hiring activity, equipment/ technology acquisition, and overall machining strategy development/implementation. This position will plan, manage, and report on monthly departmental expenses and capital project budgets. In addition, will provide direct oversight to the Component Manufacturing Supervisor and act as a backup to the Supervisor duties.
- Support, and act as a back for, duties performed by the components manufacturing supervisor.
- Manage department budgets and develop yearly forecasts.
- Review and analyze manufacturing variances and implement reduction initiatives.
- Review manufacturing costs and provide cost estimates on components.
- Develop department strategies and propose departmental layouts.
- Research new manufacturing technologies to aide in manufacturing operations.
- Technical liaison with external tooling suppliers.
- Lead new capital appropriations to advance our internal capabilities and technologies.
- Interact and develop relationships with institutions aimed at creating incoming machining pipelines.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Continuous Improvement using Lean Tools and ability to train others
- Knowledge of machining and/or fabrication manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and ability to resolve issues in a professional, effective manner
- Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet
- Critical thinking, decision making, complex problem solving, project management, expert in primary function(s), ability to lead, motivate and develop skills among colleagues and subordinates.
Qualification and Educational Requirements:
- Associates degree in relevant technical field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- three (3) years minimum supervisory experience in an advance manufacturing environment
- Experience in a high mix low volume environment.
- Lean knowledge and proven implementation of 5S/Standard Work/SMED/Flow/TPM/etc. in a manufacturing environment.
- Aptitude to build, lead (coaching/mentoring) a strong team of skilled machinists.
- Measurable success in reducing direct / indirect labor costs, while increasing overall facility efficiency, productivity, output and quality.
- Ability to ensure production flow is optimized through a process that is sustainable.
- Experience regarding implementation of constraint and flow manufacturing processes, working capital / inventory turn maximization, quality / ISO processes are all preferred.
- Extensive experience with manufacturing process improvement, including facility enhancement & improvement, Total Cycle Time reduction principals, lead time reduction, workflow / layout enhancement program and capacity management planning.
- Working knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that would need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. Employees are required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their manager or supervisor.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed and is not an all inclusive summary of job duties and responsibilities. The omission of specific statements or duties and responsibilities does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change.