Component Manufacturing Supervisor
This position is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the processes and production of skilled machinists assigned to the department. The primary responsibilities will be to lead the team to ensure perfect quality, establish staffing / work schedules, manage budget, and lead continuous improvement efforts. Departmental KPI’s – Safety, On-Time Delivery, Direct Cost of Sales, Fixed Overhead budget costs and Talent Management (skills matrix).
- Establish daily work schedules and priorities based on production plans and resource availability and track weekly load on bottleneck machines.
- Lead and support initiatives that focus on the implementation of continuous improvement / lean manufacturing principles.
- Time keeping – verify accurate time charging in a labor reporting system. Identify issues and initiate appropriate corrections. Monitor employee attendance records, schedule overtime in accordance with company policy.
- Interact with employees from all areas of the Company; the responsibility will range from employee issues, expediting, scheduling, quality, maintenance, staffing requirements, shift adjustments, etc.
- Working with computer systems and programs, gather information, input into programs and record information, track workflow applied and earned production hours, planned load.
- Work on special projects tracking issues, complete questionnaires, coordinate and facilitate lean manufacturing projects.
- Prioritize and resolve unplanned/unscheduled work orders and production/quality issues.
- Develop capacity requirements based on load and propose required staffing needs to meet goals.
- Support member of new technology and capital appropriation projects affecting their areas.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Continuous Improvement using Lean Tools and ability to train others
- Knowledge of machining and/or fabrication manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and ability to resolve issues in a professional, effective manner
- Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet
- Critical thinking, decision making, complex problem solving, project management, expert in primary function(s), ability to lead, motivate and develop skills among colleagues and subordinates.
Qualification and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Management, Business or relevant technical field preferred
- Five (5) years minimum supervisory experience in an advance manufacturing environment
- Lean knowledge and proven implementation of 5S/Standard Work/SMED/Flow/TPM/etc in a manufacturing environment.
- Aptitude to build, lead (coaching/mentoring) a strong team of skilled machinists.
- Measurable success in reducing direct / indirect labor costs, while increasing overall facility efficiency, productivity, output and quality.
- Ability to ensure production flow is optimized through a process that is sustainable.
- Experience regarding implementation of constraint and flow manufacturing processes, working capital / inventory turn maximization, quality / ISO processes are all preferred.
- Extensive experience with manufacturing process improvement, including facility enhancement & improvement, Total Cycle Time reduction principals, lead time reduction, workflow / layout enhancement program and capacity management planning.
- Working knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that would need to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. Employees are required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their manager or supervisor.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed and is not an all inclusive summary of job duties and responsibilities. The omission of specific statements or duties and responsibilities does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change.