Component/Fluids Test Engineer I-III
Blue Origin, LLC
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
In this role, you will support the development, construction, operation and maintenance of Blue Origin’s test facilities in Kent. This is a hands-on engineering and project management position for testing components and systems supporting all Blue Origin business units.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design, plan, fabricate, install and operate hydrostatic, fluid flow, propellant, pneumatic, or cryogenic test facilities
- Develop and execute test plans and procedures; perform subsequent data reduction and reviews
- Lead daily test operations, operate test consoles, direct technician work and coordinate with internal customers
- Understand and troubleshoot fluid and instrumentation systems
- Perform root cause, system hazard analysis and failure investigations
- Plan and oversee facility maintenance
- Identify opportunities for safety improvements and cost savings
- Design, define, procure and install system components and materials; manage vendors and subcontractors during installation
- Proactively prepare status updates and communicates both within the organization and with direct customers
- Demonstrate high standards in test operations and work cooperatively with a diverse team of Integration Engineers, Responsible Engineers and BLUE customers to ensure requirements are met
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Experience in the design, development, or operation of test facilities or similar experimental research facilities
- Knowledge of a variety of fluids, experience with cryogenic and monopropellants preferred
- Ability and desire to understand complex systems, investigate and solve challenging problems, and work in a dynamic environment
- Analytical orientation and safety mindset
- Work well under pressure and takes initiative to improve existing systems, processes, and documentation
- Ability to support weekend and second shift as needed to meet customer demands
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in test stand design, operations, and maintenance
- Pressurized Gas Systems
- Fluid Systems
- Instrumentation and controls
- ASME codes and local building standards
- Strong Project Management and team leadership skills
- Understands/experience with hazardous operations and design for system safety
- Experience with civil engineering projects and construction management
- Experience with 3D CAD tools and data management
- Experience with test facility instrumentation and Data Acquisition and Control Systems
- Knowledge of systems engineering practices, fabrication and integration processes, and quality control
- Proficiency in LabView, Python, MATLAB
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays