Composite Qualification Engineer
Salt Lake City Fibers, UT
With our strong investment in research and development and our culture of continuous improvement, Hexcel is the industry leader in the manufacturing of advance composite materials, including carbon fiber, woven reinforcements, resins, prepregs, honeycombs and additive manufactured parts. We invite you to join the Hexcel team at various manufacturing sites, sales offices and R&T centers around the globe. Become a part of the “strength within.”
Hexcel is currently seeking a Composite Qualification Engineer for our Salt Lake City, UT, USA location.
The selected individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following obligations:
- Coordinating with Product Management and External Customers to define the scope of work required to qualify new or modified products to customer specifications. This requires coming to a complete understanding of customer expectations and translating them into the various technical tasks that need to be completed to finish the qualification on time.
- Coordinating with ISC to manufacture pre-qualification and qualification batches of material. This requires placing orders for the required quantities of materials of each type to carry out all required testing; assuring that Process Control Documents are in place and in some cases, coordinating and attending customer witnessing of manufacturing runs.
- Assuring that all customer expectations for testing have been communicated to the plants and that they are ready to carry out any required testing to meet specification requirements.
- Defining Statements of Work (SOW’s) for the testing required at the plants, at other Hexcel labs, or at outside test labs. This requires assuring that the various test labs are fully capable of exactly meeting the test requirements and in cases where deviations are required, obtaining negotiated and written confirmation for any necessary changes.
- Coordinating the shipment of required test materials to the appropriate labs; verifying that the materials have passed any acceptance or release test requirements before using them for qualification work; assuring that the materials are preserved, protected, and stored appropriately prior to use with documented information available to prove they are acceptable for use.
- Writing test panel fabrication instruction paperwork for laminates, sandwich panels, or any other material forms required for testing, then supervising the manufacturing of the required test panels and assuring that post-manufacturing verification tests are acceptable for the test panels to move into testing.
- Reviewing testing progress and updating expected completion dates, elevating any lack of priority to management for resolution in order to complete testing on time.
- Reviewing test results for correctness and in some cases, statistical conformity with historical data. Making decisions as to how and when testing must be repeated, to comply with customer expectations.
- Maintaining complete traceability of all elements of a qualification project, then converting those elements into a complete qualification report.
- Interfacing with customers to provide status updates, resolution of any conflicts, and facilitating reviews of reports to achieve timely placement on the qualified products list.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field from a four-year college or university and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous knowledge of composites, fiber, honeycomb, plastics, and ceramics material properties is desirable, especially for aerospace applications.
- Familiar with material specifications and their applications.
- Working knowledge of PC’s and related software, specifically MS-Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint and statistical software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Prior supervisory experience leading a small team or managing a work shift is preferred.
- Experience in project management helpful and ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail required.
Eligible candidate must be: U.S. citizen, U.S. national, a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence, a temporary resident under sections 210(a) or 245(A) of the Act, a person admitted in refugee status, a person granted asylum. Hexcel (NYSE: HXL) is a global leader in advanced composites technology, a leading producer of carbon fiber, and the world leader in honeycomb manufacturing for the commercial aerospace industry.
Hexcel is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, status as protected veteran, or any other protected class.