Composite Technician I
Albany Engineered Composites
Salt Lake City, UT
Albany Engineered Composites (AEC) is one of the most technically advanced designers and manufacturers of lightweight composite aerospace structures, subassemblies and components. For more than 50 years, AEC has innovated advanced composite solutions for defense and commercial industries in applications from large commercial transports to fighter jets and commercial and military rotorcraft.
Our composite design and fabrication expertise can be found on many commercial platforms such as Boeing's 7-series family, the Airbus A380 aircraft as well as Sikorsky S-76 helicopter. For defense programs, AEC provides a wide range of products including complete structural assemblies, flight critical components, primary and secondary structural elements for platforms such as the F-35 Lightning II, the CH-53K Heavy-lift Helicopter and the Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM).
AEC is committed to delivering high-quality, economical composite solutions to our customers. Significant investment in infrastructure and automation ensures AEC is positioned to maximize that value, offering the right processes to meet our customer's needs.
$16-$23/hour depending on experience.
Generous PTO, Holidays, 401K Match, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible Work Schedule
Composite Technicians perform lay-up, braiding and filament winding of composite materials in accordance with customer and company specifications and requirements while following company policies and using proper personal protective equipment. Other duties include:
- Bonds a variety of dissimilar materials (composite, metal, or laminate) assemblies, parts, skins, components, equipment or structures into semi-finished or finished products.
- Lays out articles, cuts parts or materials to size.
- Applies liquid or solid bonding agents. Operates autoclave, hydraulic presses and ovens to complete bonding cycle.
- Controls conditions of heat, pressure, and timing by setting and operating various controls according to the specifications for the materials and the bonding agent being used.
- Sands, burrs and smooths over areas, apply sealing resins to cut or exposed edges.
- Monitors and verifies quality of finished product.
- Completes repairs on composite, metal or laminate bonded products using inspection and rework instructions.
- Verifies quality of finished product.
- Able to identify different process materials, prepregs, adhesives and resins.
- Assist with cutting and kitting materials.
- Complete lay-ups using measuring instruments per shop orders, blue prints or laser ply projector.
- Vacuum bag basic shapes and sizes.
- Assist in loading autoclaves and\or ovens with the use of forklifts, cranes or handling carts.