Ascent Aviation Services Corp.
Ascent Aviation Services is one of the largest aviation maintenance, repair, overhaul, storage and reclamation operations in the world. Our strength comes from our talented and professional employees who excel through teamwork and enthusiasm. Ascent Aviation Services continues to grow and are continually looking for motivated and career minded aviation professionals who will support our vision and goals.
To perform functions assigned in the specialized repair of aircraft composite material structural members.
Physical Demands: Requires standing for extended periods of time. Requires frequent walking, bending, reaching above shoulder level, and balancing. Requires occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, crouching, or crawling. Requires occasional lifting or carrying weight up to 50 pounds unassisted and pushing or pulling weight up to 25 pounds unassisted. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
Equipment Operated: Vacuum pumps, heat sources, special hand tools, ladders, stands, mechanical stands, hi-reach lifts.
Work Location: Aircraft maintenance hangar, flightline.
Protective Equipment Required: Goggles, safety glasses, face shields, ear protection, aprons, gloves, safety harnesses, respirators, breathing equipment.
Potential Hazards: Exposure to high intensity noise levels, extreme changes in temperature, airborne substances, materials identified on Safety Data Sheets, working on unprotected heights or around moving machinery.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Functions:
- Researches technical data and performs fabrication of plastic aircraft parts, accessories, and trim in accordance with applicable maintenance manuals, FAA regulations and Ascent Aviation Services policies and procedures.
- Cuts fiberglass, kevlar or graphite cloth to size, following template or blueprints, using cutting machine, scissors, or knife.
- Marks identifying information on material and assembles materials in kits for subsequent laminating.
- Applies parting agent to mold or bonding fixture.
- Impregnates cloth with resins by dipping cloth in solutions, feeding cloth between rollers to impregnating machine, or brushing resin onto cloth.
- Applies layers of impregnated cloth or prepreg onto mold or fixture in predetermined ply sequence, and presses cloth to fit contours of mold, smooth surface, and remove air pockets and excess resin, using squeegee, scraper, spatula or roller.
- Fits and laps ends of cloth, using scissors or knife.
- Encases molded laminate in bagging material and bleeder cloth, attached vacuum bagging apparatus, such as thermo-couples, probes, and vacuum connections, to mold or bonding fixture, and exhausts air from vacuum bag to seal laminate for curing. Tests seal on vacuum bagging apparatus, using leak detector.
- Trims, drills, deburrs, grinds, sands, and finishes cured parts to specifications, using templates, fixtures, hand-tools, and power tools.
- Pre-fits and assembles cured parts into assemblies or sub-assemblies, using jigs, fixtures, power tools, and fasteners, such as rivets and bolts.
- Performs cold/hot metal bonding.
- Applies adhesives to surface of assembled parts for bonding in autoclave.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Ensures that proper documentation is made on training record for training received, and signed by Lead, Supervisor, or Manager.
- Performs maintenance duties away from the base on temporary duty.
- Performs maintenance work such as repair and maintenance of company equipment and shop housecleaning.
- Ensure that all work performed is done in a safe manner. Directs activities to protect employees from harm and maintain safe working conditions.
- Will participate in and support safety initiatives, safe work practices and SMS compliance.
- Will participate in safety activities including the following: immediately reporting hazards, unsafe work practices and accidents/injuries.
- Will follow all safety rules, FAA regulations, PPE compliance and equipment operation requirements.
Duties not listed within the position description may be required of the employee at the discretion of the department management. Job functions may vary due to irregular working conditions or multiple shift positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to organize and plan work adhering to deadlines; attention to detail and mathematical skills; ability to read, write, and understand the English language and to follow verbal and written instruction; ability to interpret and apply technical data relating to position; ability to safely drive and operate a standard shift automotive vehicle and other applicable equipment; ability to work with or without supervision.
Education/Training: High School diploma or equivalent required. Post-secondary education or training in composites or equivalent combination of education, training or experience required.
Experience: Three to five year’s composite or structures work experience preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: A License preferred. Current valid Arizona driver’s license with clear driving record for past three years required.
Other: May be required to work at both Marana, AZ and Tucson, AZ locations as business needs dictate.
Ascent Aviation Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.