Composites and Additive Manufacturing Innovation Lead for Wind Energy
Society For Industrial & Applied Mathematics
Requisition Id 9208
We are seeking a senior R&D staff who will lead ORNL’s innovation in composites and additive manufacturing for wind energy applications. You will be expected to leverage ORNL’s signature research strengths in manufacturing, materials formulation, multi-scale modeling and advanced characterization in defining and leading your research. You will contribute to research performed at the Carbon Fiber Technology Facility (CFTF) and the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF) with access to comprehensive capabilities ranging from fiber precursor formulation to additive manufacturing and spanning bench scale to industry relevant scale. This position resides in the Composites Innovation Group, Composites Science and Technology Section, Manufacturing Science Division, Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will advance the science and technology related to manufacturing for clean energy. You will be leading research and development of rapid composite manufacturing and large scale additive processes for wind energy applications. Additionally, you will be expected to develop and manage projects related to traditional composites processing, recycling and novel design for advanced manufacturing. Expertise in composite manufacturing, additive manufacturing and wind energy is critical for this position. You will be expected to simultaneously develop strategies, shaping new initiatives, leading multiple projects while interacting with ORNL staff, industry and academic partners..
- Formulate and execute an R&D vision in the area of composite and additive manufacturing for wind energy.
- Develop new research and capabilities in the area of composites processes and manufacturing, additive manufacturing and wind energy related manufacturing.
- Develop and manage projects in the area of manufacturing for clean energy.
- Secure and maintain world class equipment for manufacturing related to wind energy
- Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity
- Interact regularly with senior scientists, program managers, group members, and industrial partners, and prepare and present periodic reports documenting research and development
- Establish ORNL’s reputation in manufacturing for wind energy by publishing results in peer-reviewed journals, presenting in conferences and active participation in relevant societies.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or other related discipline.
- A minimum of twenty years of experience in the area of advanced manufacturing and manufacturing for wind energy.
- Experience with a wide range of additive manufacturing processes
- Experience with windmill blade production
- Experience with characterization of additively manufactured structures
- Experience with a variety of manufacturing techniques such as injection molding, thermoforming and CNC machining
- Experience with large scale additive manufacturing process
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to an international scientific audience
- Motivated and safety conscious
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task and adapt to ever changing needs with the proven ability to function well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with a measure of autonomy and a willingness to participate creatively in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in a limited amount of time and to independently set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks to meet deadlines
Three letters of reference should be provided upon request.
Work Direction and Interfaces: Position reports to the Group Leader, Composites Innovation Group and interfaces with administrative staff, managers and visitors to ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.