Composites Fabrication Technician
Society For Industrial & Applied Mathematics
Oak Ridge, TN
Requisition Id 9330
The Prototype Manufacturing Group within the Enrichment Science and Engineering Division (ESED) seeks applications for a Composites Fabrication Technician position with experience in the areas of mechanical fabrication, assembly, and inspection processes to support multiple enrichment technology programs. The Enrichment Science and Engineering Division serves the nation in two critical areas: advancing enrichment technologies, and exploring enriched stable isotope production and applications. The division leverages an elite staff of scientists and engineers with the world-leading capabilities of Oak Ridge National Laboratory to deliver groundbreaking advancements with a variety of applications, from national security to life-saving medical treatments. This position reports to the Prototype Manufacturing Group Leader. The selected candidate will work with technicians, engineers, quality representatives, project managers, and other project staff to provide best-in-class composite products for project activities. This position requires strong understanding of mechanical fabrication and drawings, composites manufacturing methods, metrology, and composites evalution/quality control techniques.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Fabrication and testing of composite parts utilized in various enrichment technology systems
- Participating in the development of associated procedures and process improvements
- Executing tasks per detailed schedules, work orders, manufacturing plans, quality & inspection plans, and inventory control of hardware and materials
- Utilizing engineering and/or shop drawings for parts to be fabricated
- Communicating clearly with designers and engineers to create/improve engineering drawings for both product and tooling
- Maintaining or improving manufacturing processes
- Working effectively in a collaborative environment to meet project milestones and deliverables
- An Associate of Science degree in a science or engineering discipline, and a minimum of 2 years of relevant composites experience and 5 years of related work experience. A comparable combination of education and experience will be considered
- Demonstration of manufacturing experience in an R&D and/or a production environment
- Composite parts fabrication experience
- Experience with work control in an R&D environment
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Experience related to programs or research involving isotope enrichment technologies
- Experience with filament winding or fiber placement fabrication processes
- Understanding and being able to apply Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per ANSI Y14.5
- Experience working under a Quality Assurance Program (NQA-1, ISO9001, AS9100, or similar)
Work involves various physical requirements and working conditions. As such, a pre-hire physical will be required after offer.
About the Isotope Science and Engineering Directorate (ISED):
Established in 2020, the Isotope Science and Engineering Directorate is strengthening Oak Ridge National Laboratory's leadership in isotope production and enrichment technology innovation. ISED is guiding the Lab's pursuit of the fundamental science and technology that broadens the application of isotopes for energy, environmental, medical, and national security purposes. These efforts are made possible through the High Flux Isotope Reactor, the Radiochemical Engineering Development Center, ORNL's other nuclear facilities, and an assemblage of world-leading scientists and engineers. Please visit https://www.ornl.gov/directorate/isotopes for more information about ISED.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, and fitness facilities.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.