Composites Lab Engineer (Mid-Level or Senior)
Ridley Park, PA
Company:The Boeing Company
Location:USA - Ridley Park, PA
Job Description Qualifications:
We are Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T): Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers and technicians, skilled scientists and bold innovators; Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future!
BR&T is seeking a high performing, collaborative Composites Lab Engineer (Mid-Level or Senior) to join our Composite Materials Lab in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania.
This person will work closely with other lab engineers and lab technicians in the execution of lab projects. This person must be a motivated, self-starter with a passion for laboratory investigations and evaluations. The successful candidate will have advanced knowledge of composite material fabrication, standard mechanical test methods and data analysis, failure analysis, microscopy, and/or materials characterization (TMA, TGA, DSC, HPLC, FTIR etc.). This position may require occasional domestic and/or international travel. This position may require overtime depending on the scope of work.
- Writing material test program plans, lab reports, and associated support paperwork per established guidelines and methods, to characterize the materials' physical, chemical and mechanical properties, processing attributes and safety considerations
- Conducts analysis to characterize performance or determine reasons for failure of tools, materials, parts or processes
- Conducts screening of qualification of new materials, parts and processes, tools and equipment to meet requirements
- Assists with activities to qualify materials and part suppliers to applicable requirements
- Uses project management tools to meet cost, technical, and schedule requirements
- Incorporates environmental health and safety, LEAN and Quality principles into (1) materials and processes, (2) research, design and qualification, (3) work procedures and (4) labs and office areas
This position allows occasional telecommuting. The selected candidate will be required to perform some work onsite at the listed location.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 3+ years of experience working in a composite materials laboratory
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- 5+ years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of experience working in a composite materials laboratory
- Experience working in an engineering or scientific lab
- Experienced with composite and elastomers and associated processing techniques
- Experience with adhesive materials (such as epoxy, urethane, polyimide, reinforcements, etc) and processes.
- Experience with composite and elastomer failure modes (structural and nonstructural) and analysis for materials, processes and parts.
- Experienced reading drawings and using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, etc.)
Mid-Level (Level 3)
Bachelor's degree and typically 5 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 3 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Senior (Level 4)
Bachelor's degree and typically 9 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 7 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with typically 4 or more years' experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit for this position. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift Work Statement:
This position is for 1st shift.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation:No relocation available
Export Control Requirement:U.S. Government Export Control Status: This position must meet export control compliance requirements. To meet export control compliance requirements, a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Safety Sensitive:This is not a safety sensitive position
Contingent Upon Award ProgramThis position is not contingent upon program award
Experience Level:Individual Contributor - 3
Job Code:6F4BI3 (6A7)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Stay safe from recruitment fraud! The only way to apply for a position at Boeing is via our Careers website.
Learn how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud - Recruitment Fraud Warning
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Request an Accommodation - Requesting Interview Accommodations
Applicant Privacy - Applicant Privacy
EEO is the law Poster - EEO is the law
Boeing Policy on EEO - Boeing EEO Policy
Affirmative Action and Harassment - Boeing Affirmative Action and Harassment
Boeing Participates in E – Verify
Right to Work Statement