Composites Materials & Processes Engineer 2
Spirit AeroSystems, Inc.
Spirit AeroSystems designs and builds aerostructures for both commercial and defense customers. With headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, Spirit operates sites in the U.S., U.K., France and Malaysia. The company's core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components for the world's premier aircraft. Spirit AeroSystems focuses on affordable, innovative composite and aluminum manufacturing solutions to support customers around the globe.
- Work Location: Wichita, Kansas
- Applies principles of chemistry, physics, and material science to develop material, process and support specifications for thermoplastic, thermoset and other high-temperature composites
- Troubleshoots and de-risks composites manufacturing processes, reducing quality non-conformances, at internal and supplier production facilities
- Coordinates with production and research and development project leads to facilitate implementation of new manufacturing technologies
- Qualifies new composites manufacturing facilities, equipment and processes to ensure compliance to internal and/or customer engineering and specifications
- Analyzes composite material properties and behaviors to optimize manufacturing processes
- Reviews and approves engineering drawings and documents in accordance with specifications to assist in resolving part failure analysis for serial production fabrication, assembly and potential in service problems
- Applies knowledge of aerospace structural component fabrication and assembly processes and technologies to influence research and development strategies and plans
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical and/or Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or other related course of study from an ABET accredited program
- Requires educational credentials meeting the Spirit classification standards for engineers and typically 2 to 4 years of experience in an engineering classification / position or a Master's degree with 0 to 2 years of experience in an engineering classification
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Strong written and oral communication and time management skills
- Ability to work well within a multifunctional team (MFT) / integrated product team (IPT) environments
- Experience with aircraft manufacturing-related standards, materials and processes , and/or material science
- Experience writing, reviewing and facilitating test plans, reviewing planning documents for test execution, and overseeing the execution of test coupon fabrication
Spirit AeroSystems is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.