VSE is seeking a Composite Mechanic for the Greensboro, NC location.
SUMMARY: Perform aircraft composite maintenance and/or repairs within budgeted time and at VSE, FAA, and customers' standards of quality. Organizes work plan in an efficient and resourceful manner. The Composites Mechanic is responsible to work in a safe manner eliminating waste and delivering a quality product on time.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform work as assigned utilizing Routine and/or Non-Routine Work Cards and/or Service bulletins within estimated or budgeted hours and within FAA and VSE standards of quality.
- Maintain VSE and customer aircraft maintenance documents accurately.
- Use and operate safely all ground support equipment, (i.e. Lifts, generators, etc.) and possess VSE operating certification.
- Read and use Blue prints, Structure Repair manuals, Illustrated Parts Catalog, Air Transport Association (ATA) Codes, Douglas Process Standards, Boeing Materials specifications and Service Bulletins to perform assigned work.
- Know various types of aircraft sealant and appropriate method application for sealant as well as aircraft fasteners and basic methods of installation and suitable substitutions.
- Fabricate parts as required and have knowledge of metal and alloys and where substitutes may be used.
- Layout and perform complex structural repairs that are addressed in the repair manuals and engineering documents.
- Know the proper use of heat control units.
- Knowledgeable in the proper wear, cleaning, usage and storage of respirators.
- Knowledgeable of the proper use, handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Responsible for the proper execution of parts tags attached to repairable, serviceable or condemned parts.
- Know part numbers for common hardware such as rivets, hi-locks, washers, etc.
- Interface effectively with members of management, other departments and co-workers
- Effectively communicate with co-workers, members of management, and other departments.
- Keep immediate and adjacent work areas clean.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- If appropriately credentialed, act as temporary Lead Mechanic when required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of technician experience in an aviation related metal bond composite environment or military equivalent.
- Read, write and understand the English language
In compliance with Executive Order 14042, any successful applicant for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an accommodation from the vaccination requirement based on disability or sincerely held religious belief, on or before the start date.
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant certificate
- Experience using composite materials such as fiberglass, graphite and pre-impregnated materials
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Must have normal or corrected hearing.
- Occasional subjection to continual loud noises
- Must be able to bend, stoop, kneel, and stand for prolonged periods of time, climb ladders and/or service stands.
- Visual acuity must be a minimum of 20/40 corrected.
- Must be able to wear and breathe through a full-face respirator.
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals/environment necessitating the use of safety equipment.
- Possess effective verbal and written communication
- Concentrate on tasks
- Adjust to changes
- Manage stress/emotion