Compressor Advanced Engine Design Intern (Hybrid)
East Hartford, CT
Country:United States of America
Location:PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
Position Role Type:Hybrid
Pratt & Whitney is working to once again transform the future of flight—designing, building and servicing engines unlike any the world has ever seen. And because transformation begins from within, we’re seeking the people to drive it. So, calling all curious.
Come ready to explore and you’ll find a place where your talent takes flight—beyond the borders of title, a country or your comfort zone. Bring your passion and commitment and we’ll welcome you into a tight-knit team that takes our mission personally. Channel your drive to make a difference into shaping an organization and an industry that’s evolving fast to the future.
Innovation through diversity of thought. At Pratt & Whitney, we believe diversity of thought enables creativity, innovation, and a foundation for inclusion. By fostering an inclusive culture, we accept a shared accountability and responsibility to recognize, sponsor, coach, hire and promote talent equally. We welcome our employees to be their whole - best - selves at work because trust, respect and integrity, are a part of our DNA.
At Pratt & Whitney, the difference you make is on display every day. Just look up. Are you ready to go beyond?
Compression Systems Engineering (CSE) is seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineering Intern for the Advanced Engine Programs (AEP) Module team. We’re looking for students with an engineer’s curiosity, an explorer’s heart, to work technology and engine configurations of the future.
Breadth of potential tasks is vast. Unlike other parts of Pratt & Whitney organization, AEP covers all of compression systems - nose cone/spinner to exit of the high compressor for both Military and Commercial engines. AEP is where the architecture and the features of future engines are generated along with the development of technology to enable.
Within this assignment the goals for the intern are to gain an understanding of advanced engine design while learning about P&W and its operations. Exposure to task development and an appreciation of how each discipline contributes to the success of our products and partners & customers. While the intern will benefit from on-the-job training and practical experience, they will be expected to contribute fresh ideas and participate as a productive member of the department. Their growth as a professional and the difference they make will be witnessed and mentored by those around them. Internship requires an exit presentation on the experiences and contributions made in the program.
- Generating libraries of part models.
- Topology optimization of simple rotating hardware of non-traditional material.
- Generating models and calculations to develop spreadsheet method for stress concentration predictions, based on prior intern’s work.
- Refining fan case configuration spreadsheet tool to enhance metric prediction and examine alternate configurations or technology.
Assignment is at our East Hartford, Connecticut location. Positions are Hybrid meaning 2-3 (Monday, Tuesday, and alt Friday) days a week in the office. Currently during transition to fully returning to the office, assignment is hybrid 1 day in EH office (Tuesday). When not in the office work will be performed remotely.
- US Citizenship is required due to government contracts.
- You're in an accredited undergraduate or graduate engineering degree program. Preferred fields of study: Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- You will have at least 30 credits prior to starting your internship.
- You have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Fluent in English (verbal/written)
- Self-motivated with high energy while working well in teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Prior internship experience is a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated leadership inside and/or outside of school is desired.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and consistent record of collaboration, flexibility, innovation, and initiative.
- A real passion for learning and pursuing a career in the Design, and the support of world class engines.
- Competency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Practical experience with a CAD system is highly preferred (Siemens NX, SolidWorks, Pro/E, CATIA, or other).
- Practical experience with GD&T and reading blueprints is highly preferred.
- Practical experience with FEM software (ANSYS, NX Simulation, SolidWorks Simulation, or other) is a plus.
What is my role type?
In addition to transforming the future of flight, we are also transforming how and where we work. We’ve introduced role types to help you understand how you will operate in our blended work environment. This role is:
Hybrid: Employees who are working in Hybrid roles will work regularly both onsite and offsite. This means that responsibilities of the job need to be performed onsite on a regular basis.
Candidates will learn more about role type and current site status throughout the recruiting process. For onsite and hybrid roles, commuting to and from the assigned site is the employee’s personal responsibility.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms