Compressor Advanced Engines Design Engineer (Hybrid)
East Hartford, CT
Country:United States of America
Location:PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
Position Role Type:Hybrid
Pratt & Whitney is working to once again transform the future of flight—designing, building and servicing engines unlike any the world has ever seen. And because transformation begins from within, we’re seeking the people to drive it. So, calling all curious.
Come ready to explore and you’ll find a place where your talent takes flight—beyond the borders of title, a country or your comfort zone. Bring your passion and commitment and we’ll welcome you into a tight-knit team that takes our mission personally. Channel your drive to make a difference into shaping an organization and an industry that’s evolving fast to the future.
Innovation through diversity of thought. At Pratt & Whitney, we believe diversity of thought enables creativity, innovation, and a foundation for inclusion. By fostering an inclusive culture, we accept a shared accountability and responsibility to recognize, sponsor, coach, hire and promote talent equally. We welcome our employees to be their whole - best - selves at work because trust, respect and integrity, are a part of our DNA.
At Pratt & Whitney, the difference you make is on display every day. Just look up. Are you ready to go beyond?
The Compression Systems Engineering (CSE) Advanced Engine Programs (AEP) Mechanical Design team is seeking mechanical engineering professionals to join our team. Knowledge or Experience in gas turbine engineering is preferred, but any with complex machinery and assemblies may be acceptable.
Advanced Engine Programs is a dynamic and exciting environment. Unlike most other groups in the organization AEP covers all Fan & Compressor hardware nosecone/spinner to diffuser. Tasks are both Commercial and Military/Government in origin and work involves leveraging both forms for overall PW improvements.
Today’s best and newest processes are utilized, while improving them. Current year tasks have involved use of RAPID tool set and Agile operation methods, in advanced studies for many customers. A key skill is the ability to perform a task with limited input and willingness to perform again and again as new input and options are defined. During iterations work will require leveraging prior results and refining process to improve.
If you have ever wondered why a Concept Design or Configuration appears the way it is, this assignment will help you understand the considerations, trades and complexities that go into it. It will also provide the opportunity to shape the engine architecture of the future. Studies and discussions of new technologies for extension of existing applications as well as future flight configurations are likely to form a part of your assignments.
This is a Technology group, whereby definition, new ESW is explored and defined. Assignments are challenging but open for innovation and creativity. Most engineers in this role sponsor or are involved in generation of Intellectual Property (IP). Tasks include establishing new concepts and the defining of rigs and applications to validate and utilize them.
If this work interests you, your background / experience is relevant to mechanical design and you possess the skills and motivation to bring new ideas into practice, we would like to like to hear from you. We have openings at our East Hartford, Connecticut location. Positions are Hybrid 2-3 days a week in the office. During transition to return to office, assignment is hybrid 1 day (Tuesday) in EH Engineering Technology Center office.
- Sound mechanical engineering across several phases of the design cycle, with focus on Concept Initiation and Optimization and rig/demo hardware designs.
- Mechanical engineering across a variety of part types (static and rotating) as well as integration of detail components into functioning modules and engine systems.
- Resolution of mechanical engineering problems of difficult and complex scope, seeking a balanced system solution, ensuring engineering excellence, all with limited supervisor oversight required. Use of hand calculations and estimation.
- Clear communication to all levels of the organization.
- Coordination of product definition data and making layouts, sketches, and notes necessary to present design proposals.
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering
- US Citizenship required due to government contracts
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Fluent in English (verbal/written)
- M.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering.
- Proficiency in Teamcenter, Unigraphics, Ansys, and classical “hand” methods of analysis.
- Active US government security clearance or the ability to obtain one.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of hardware, blueprints, dimensions & tolerances, and manufacturing methods.
- Turbomachinery experience.
What is my role type?
In addition to transforming the future of flight, we are also transforming how and where we work. We’ve introduced role types to help you understand how you will operate in our blended work environment. This role is:
Hybrid: Employees who are working in Hybrid roles will work regularly both onsite and offsite. This means that responsibilities of the job need to be performed onsite on a regular basis.
Candidates will learn more about role type and current site status throughout the recruiting process. For onsite and hybrid roles, commuting to and from the assigned site is the employee’s personal responsibility.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms