Computer Operations Technician II
Electronic Systems, Inc.
Our client, Virginia's largest institution of higher education is seeking a Computer Operations Technicians II for a full-time 1-year engagement. The Computer Operations II will take lead or organize staff to perform computer and laptop repair, PC desktop, and lab installations and upgrades of hardware and software. In this role the Computer Operations II will perform individual and group training on the use of the classroom technology equipment. Respond to, and resolve hardware and software problems on campus, and at off campus sites as needed.
Position is primarily day shift; however, organizational requirements may demand work on evenings, nights and weekends.
- Work with the campus technical support staff performing software/hardware installations and computer maintenance.
- Plan, organize, and track performance of junior staff members as directed by the IT manager.
- Answer requests for assistance logged by staff, students and faculty regarding technical problems.
- Respond to technical requests for assistance with desktop computers, peripherals, and all technology installed in the classrooms.
- Organize staff for the deployment of monthly software upgrades as needed, as well as security patching
- Perform individual and group computer installations, including computer labs, as well as organize junior staff to complete these tasks on time and in compliance with college policy.
- Support Windows, and MAC based operating systems and applications.
- Assist in maintaining campus technology inventory. To include acting as back-up inventory liaison for the campus.
- Work with contractors regarding technical installations and repairs, supervise work of contractors to ensure work is in compliance with college facility policy, information technology policies, and the statement of work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Special Assignments May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor. KSA's/Required
- College Degree in computer Information Systems Technology, Network Systems, or Computer Science or related course work or extensive experience in network support, audio visual system support, or enterprise IT end-customer support or equivalent experience.
- Good interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Proven ability to plan and complete technical tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience acting as a team lead, project manager, or technical task organizer for small groups.
- Experience managing small work groups to complete tasks.
- Ability to provide technical support of client server networks and peripherals.
- Proven ability to perform individual and group training on equipment that may be found in a classroom.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience using enterprise computer system deployment tools.
- Experience managing computers in active directory.
- Proven experience deploying computer system images.
- Experience managing small work groups of less than five individuals
- Extensive experience performing computer and laptop repair, server support, PC desktop and lab installations and upgrades of hardware and software
- Experience programming Extron and Crestron equipment.
- Experience working with and supporting Mac computers.
- Ability to plan and complete technical tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience managing medium size groups of staff (approximately 10 staff members)
- Experience with operational project management of staff
- Previous experience working in a college or educational environment.
- Competency with network tracing tools and network troubleshooting techniques.
- Direct experience using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for imaging and system management.
- General Experience with audio visual system design, implementation, or support
- Specific work experience working with Extron digital A/V equipment.
- Experience using remote desktop support or other tools for remote user support.
- Experience managing and tracking inventory