Computer Vision Engineer
Society For Industrial & Applied Mathematics
Requisition Id 9390
The Energy Systems Analytics (ESA) group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducts applied machine learning and decision science research and development for energy applications. To support ORNL strategic R&D activities in advanced manufacturing, we are seeking creative and dynamic candidates to fill multiple Computer Vision Engineer positions. The selected candidates will work at the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF - https://www.ornl.gov/facility/mdf/) to design, develop, and deploy computer vision solutions to perform real time quality control of advanced manufacturing processes.
The Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF) is home to a cohort of 3D printers, machining, and hybrid systems used to produce complex components with a wide range of materials and sizes. To succeed in your day-to-day operation, you will have access to state-of-the-art manufacturing systems and material characterization equipment, as well as access to an extensive suite of sensors, embedded hardware, and high-performance computing capabilities. In this world class environment, you will be working with a talented team of scientists and engineers on cutting edge R&D projects. Your expertise, a combination of computer vision, image processing, machine learning and/or data analytics, will be challenged to develop software and hardware solutions addressing industry relevant problems related to advanced manufacturing quality control and process optimization, and to accelerate their deployment to industry. You will work on data collection tasks requiring you to design, configure, and install imaging setups on several manufacturing systems to capture characteristic features of the process, and then develop data processing techniques to gain greater insight in the quality of the manufactured components. The data collected is expected to cover several imaging modalities (e.g., 2D, 3D, thermal, multispectral, ultrasound, x-ray) offering you multiple opportunities to successfully grow your expertise, your skills, and your career. In a fast-paced environment, you’ll have the satisfaction to personally contribute to the development of technologies addressing challenges faced by the US manufacturing industry.
- Development of advanced software and hardware solutions for computer vision applications
- Development of software tools and algorithms to collect and analyze data, including complex multidimensional datasets
- Build software using C/C++, Python, and CMake, writing clean and well-structured code
- Write maintainable code with documentation and unit test
- Implement various algorithms for computation at the edge, with a focus on high performance calculation
- Support R&D staff members on their projects
- General support of research and development needs within the MDF
- B.S. in computer science, or closely related field and two years of work experience
- Substantial knowledge in computer vision and optical designs
- Proficiency in modern C/C++ and Python
- Proficient with computer vision and AI libraries such as OpenCV, CUDA, TensorFlow, and Keras
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work in a very dynamic team environment is required
- M.S. in computer science, or closely related field
- Experience in designing and building original algorithms for data processing and understanding
- Experience developing on embedded computer vision and AI platforms such as NVidia Jetson, Raspberry Pi, and/or Beaglebone AI
- This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license, which typically requires US citizenship or LPR status
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.