Concrete Foreperson/Lead- Hays, KS
Job ID: 471740
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction, is a multi-million dollar heavy highway contractor that was established in 1874, and has multiple asphalt plants, ready mix plants, rock quarries and sand operations in Kansas. Shears is diversified with public, private and commercial work including paving, utility, dirt-grading and concrete flat work. Our valued employees produce quality work and products in a competitive market with safety first at all times. If you are seeking a rewarding career with challenging work, a variety of responsibilities, potential for advancement and looking for benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel, come join our team.
Front line supervisory position that oversees the day to day completion of concrete construction projects. This position has oversight of the concrete crew to accomplish their daily tasks.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Receive daily specific instructions from a Project Superintendent
- Schedule the mobilization of needed equipment
- Supervise/ coordinate, train, and coach assigned personnel in the completion of jobs and daily work duties
- Read and direct building of plans to specifications
- Supervise finishers and laborers to ensure that work is being done according to the field layout and the plans
- Perform the duties of a finisher when necessary
- Perform the duties of a worker/ laborer when necessary
- Notify the Project Superintendent when conditions on the job change causing a variation to previous instruction. (Approval should be received from the Superintendent before adjusting plans)
- Ensure that employees operate and maintain equipment and tools properly
- Notify the shop of equipment mechanical issues
- Lead crew in our safety culture and help ensure a safe working environment
- Maintain time and material records necessary for completing daily job costing
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Able to perform essential job functions with/ without reasonable accommodation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to complete required MSHA training within 90 days of employment
- Must be able to complete Miner training prior to working in facility
- Be able to read plans and specifications
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Regular attendance at scheduled work times.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined per company policy.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes and Safety Vest.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Applications with the ability to learn new software systems as needed.
- Be able to communicate appropriately with direct reports, co-workers, supervisors, and the general public.
- Ability to use decision making skills for cost effective solutions on jobs in the absence of a superintendent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Availability to work any 8 to 12 hour rotating shift, including weekends.
• Ability to walk or stand greater than one third of the time, or sit no greater than a third of the time.
• Ability to reach with hands and arms; use hands and fingers to handle and feel.
• Ability to climb, balance, kneel, stoop, crouch or crawl.
- Ability to wear hearing protection in areas of high sound levels.
- Able to move/carry objects up to 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Capability to work in elevated and or confined spaces.
- Ability to climb ramps or stairs repeatedly and to climb vertical ladders occasionally.
- Ability to work outdoors with a wide range of environmental exposure including being in the sun for long periods of time and exposure to airborne particles due to the crushing and/ or movement of aggregate (rock/ sand).
- Ability to wear respirator in workplace conditions containing fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
CRH has a long and proud heritage. We are a collection of hundreds of family businesses, regional companies and large enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates in a decentralized, diversified structure that allows you to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of large international organization.
If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our official employment application. Please complete your online profile and it will be sent to the hiring manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest!
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction, a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.