Kyle Railroad Co.
Reporting to the Trainmaster, the employee will have to perform yard work such as switching cars, making or splitting up the trains, moving the cars, etc. The employee will be a member of a train crew that will perform work in the rail yards or travel to various locations with the train.
- Manages and controls the movements of the cars by using lantern, hand and/or flag signals or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up or set or release air brakes
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties
- Follows the lists of work, respecting the order of those cars (block the trains)
- Collects the release sheets (ex: rail passage authorization)
- Prepares required daily reports and switch lists, manually or with a computer by filling out forms
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary
- Follows and complies with the various rules, railroad safety procedure and standards of the FRA.
- Interacts with the railway authorities
- Other related tasks
- High school diploma or GED
- Qualified conductor (asset)
- Able to adapt to different situations: work schedule, being on call, over time, tasks to accomplish, etc.
- Must be prepared to work on call 24/7, weekends, shifts
- Must be prepared to work in adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to work away from home
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Good interpersonal skills
OTHER WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Vacation, benefits and paid holidays are based on the company’s policies.
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full medical and drug evaluation as well as criminal background check and psychometric testing before hire.
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.