Conservation Specialist I- Richmond, TX
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
Conservation Specialist I- Richmond, TX
The Southern Regional Office of Ducks Unlimited (DU), Inc. has an opening for a Private Lands Conservation Specialist position to be in the Texas field office in Richmond, Texas. We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter to join a dynamic team of biologists, engineers, and other professionals working throughout Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Specifically, this position will work on private lands wetlands conservation projects, with primary emphasis on the Texas Coast. The position will work with private landowners, USFWS staff, TPWD staff, NRCS staff, and DU biologists and engineers to deliver the long running and highly successful inter-agency Texas Prairie Wetlands Project.
Additional responsibilities will include assisting with annual monitoring of conservation easement properties and assisting with future lands protection efforts and assisting other DU conservation staff with NRCS programs that focus on rice agriculture on the Texas Coast. Other responsibilities will include assisting in conservation planning, project development, grant writing and reporting of habitat delivery accomplishments.
This position will report to the Manager of Conservation Programs for DU’s Southwest Unit field office located in Richmond, Texas.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a natural resource or agricultural field is required.
- Waterfowl/wetland background or experience is preferable but not required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Strong organizational skills are necessary.
- Ability to work with private landowners, agency staff, and other conservation partners.
- Relevant experience working with private landowners on land protection, wetland restoration, wildlife habitat management, agricultural conservation and/or farm bill conservation programs is preferred.
- Experience with GIS is beneficial.
- Proficiency in MS word, PowerPoint, and excel.
- Ability to operate UTV
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with private landowners to identify and implement wetland conservation projects through the Texas Prairie Wetlands Project
- Establish good working relationships with private landowners and agency partners and build strong partnerships to advance shared conservation goals.
- Advise landowners of wetland and other habitat conservation opportunities available through state, federal, and other sources.
- Develop wetland project agreements with private landowners.
- Maintain and track annual project budget.
- Assist with grant proposal writing to seek funding for conservation programs.
- Provide annual monitoring of conservation easement properties.
- Assist in developing press releases, articles, presentations, and meetings that increase public awareness of DU and other conservation programs.
This position will require limited overnight travel. This position will require outside work, possibly in inclement weather, and may require physical exertion or heavy lifting as needed.
Duty location will be the Richmond, Texas field office.
Deadline to apply: December 2, 2022
TO APPLY: Please fill out the application materials online at www.ducks.org/jobs. For further information regarding this position or to request application materials, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE: Salary commensurate with experience. We work hard to encourage everyone at Ducks Unlimited to bring their authentic selves to work every day. DU offers an exceptional benefit package that includes comprehensive group medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance, including spouse and dependent coverage; three weeks paid vacation; paid sick leave and 10 paid holidays; 401(k) plan (including partial employer match); and tuition reimbursement.
DUCKS UNLIMITED, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Ducks Unlimited, Inc. to afford equal employment opportunity to all
qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry,
sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or over), disability
(physical, mental or visual), genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), military and veteran status, immigration status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.