Our People & Places Solutions business reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the “why” of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. Together, we’re pushing the limits of what’s possible. Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
As a Construction Engineer, you’ll join our collaborative team providing our clients with award-winning engineering, construction management, and design-build project delivery. We are looking for a construction engineer with a background in transit and roadway/bridge construction and significant experience in the inspection of transit communications and roadway ITS systems. Responsibilities of this position may include but are not limited to:
- Reports to and is responsible for supporting the Resident Engineer
- Perform daily inspections to verify that the Contractor work is being completed in accordance with the contract documents
- Prepare daily construction reports that identify the contractor workforce, equipment, and activities, site visitors, and includes daily progress photos
- Prepare regular status reports and maintain current and accurate record drawings.
- Keep Resident Engineer (RE) informed of the Contractor’s progress and activities.
- Review contractor QC documentation and checklists
- Report and document any field conditions that deviate from the Contract
In this role, you'll also communicate with all members of the Jacobs team, client, and contractor and work together to mitigate or eliminate project risks. You’ll be accountable for interacting with our construction sites, clients, and management to support the project team. Your keen ability to communicate effectively and maintain organized documentation records will be key to tackling project challenges. You’ll be surrounded by expert mentorship opportunities to help you thrive in your career.
Bring your curiosity, technical skill and desire to grow. Working together, we’ll help you design your career and pursue what fulfills you so that we can make impacts on the future – big and small, global and local.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in transit, roadway, and bridge construction engineering/inspection services
- At least 3 years of experience with inspection of communications systems and fiber optic cable installation/terminations.
- Ability to commute to/from project locations in the greater Chicago area
- Experience on Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) and/or Illinois State Toll Highway Authority (ISTHA) projects
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications, including Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook
- Excellent organizational and written and verbal communication skills
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Engineer in Training-EIT certification or Professional Engineer (PE) license
- Proficiency with Bluebeam and eBuilder
- Working knowledge of MicroStation, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Project