Construction Management Intern – Harrisburg, PA
Job ID: 455939
Pennsy Supply is a CRH company. CRH is the leading vertically integrated supplier of asphalt, aggregates, cement, ready-mix concrete, and paving and construction services in North America. Our 24,100 employees at 1,300 operating locations provide our customers with top-quality, innovative products and services.
A Construction Management Intern will be given the opportunity to work with a vertically integrated company and experience multiple aspects of construction management as well as other lines of business.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Heavy construction interns in construction management will spend the bulk of his/her time focusing on construction activities that include:
- Project management (public and private jobs).
- Learn how to find, bid and build heavy construction projects.
- Work with current bidding software.
- Set up contracts and sub contracts.
- Work with estimators.
- Work with project managers and construction crew foreman.
- Asphalt plant operations
- Spend time working with Plant Operators running asphalt plants.
- Work with yard crew and loader operator.
- Learn how to run scales.
- Assist with general maintenance of the plant.
- Construction crews
- Working on a construction crew and/or prep crew.
- Spend time with foreman learning how to prepare for the job and set up job.
- Learn about construction equipment – various uses and skills required.
- Equipment and shops
- Business management
- Work with Operations Manager/accounting on monthly projections.
- Understand job cost.
- Review workload.
- Understand basics with P&L.
- Review financial statements.
- Union CBA’s – talent management.
- Aggregate manufacturing and sales
- Spend time working in an aggregate location.
- Learn about various materials available in quarries and pits.
- Understand basic operations and logistics.
- Learn about customer base (internal and external).
- Project management (public and private jobs).
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Pennsy Supply policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Pennsy Supply employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and Experience
Working towards a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Construction Management or Operations Management from a college or technical school; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Fine motor
- Repetitive Motion
This position requires an employee to lift:
- 0 – 10 lbs
- 10 – 25 lbs
- 25 – 50 lbs
- 50 – 100 lbs
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to wet, humid condition airborne particles, and extreme heat or cold. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and may require protective equipment.
- Moving Equipment
- Working with Others
- Exposed to Noise
- Hot Weather
- Cold Weather
- Wet Weather
- Exposed to High Heat
What CRH Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
CRH has a long and proud heritage. We are a collection of hundreds of family businesses, regional companies and large enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates in a decentralized, diversified structure that allows you to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of large international organization.
If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our official employment application. Please complete your online profile and it will be sent to the hiring manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest!
Pennsy Supply, a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.