Construction Manager – Oil, Gas, & Chemical
Requisition ID: 158399
Job Level: Senior Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Energy US District
Department: Construction Operations
Employment Type: Full Time
The Construction Manager is responsible for the overall direction, completion and financial outcome of a construction project. Directs and supervises the work of project administration, project superintendents, and engineers to establish operational priorities and maintain effective relationships with owners, subcontractors, etc.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Kiewit Energy was established to better serve the diverse and expanding energy market. Kiewit Energy provides cohesive engineering, procurement and construction services to the oil, gas, refining, chemicals, petrochemicals, biofuels, and other process industries. Early Contract Involvement presence offering clients long-term relationships, providing integrated schedules, realistic construction estimates, and construction driven execution planning.
This position will be based at our Energy Corridor office with extensive travel for OGC construction projects. One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
• Be responsible for ensuring the project meets or exceeds its financial objectives, by overseeing and monitoring each stage of the development
• Coordinates daily/weekly meeting with all the area superintendents and project engineer to develop means and methods, schedule contracting needs and long lead delivery times
• Manage all field operations and work sequence in conjunction with the Project Manager
• Review project estimate or plan to determine estimated job cost, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project
• Oversee and approve the monthly job cost updates and quarterly cash flow projections. Also, review, approve and negotiate change orders
• Anticipate project needs with sufficient lead-time to avoid delay of production Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of project, work closely with Project Manager and HR team to manage relationship with staff and craft
• Form and lead an effective project management team, define and delegate management responsibilities and set goals
• Resolve any unexpected technical difficulties, and other problems that may arise
• Be an effective leader, communicate with department leads regarding work scopes
• Ensure project superintendents understand and execute the work as required
• Ensure safety, quality and production is maintained
• Responsible for project closeout. Secure loose ends by finishing paperwork, obtaining retainages, supporting supervisors and expediting claims
• Degree or diploma in a related field, or a related combination of training and experience
• 10+ years of related experience; construction and management experienced required in the Oil, Gas, and Chemical industry.
• Familiar with technical drawings systems and planning & reporting systems
• Ability to work with and manage unionized worker or subcontractors
• Communication – excellent oral presentation and written skills
• Goal oriented – able to set goals and achieve them
• Interpersonal – able to work well and persuade people at all organization levels
• Compliance - Follows applicable laws, codes, regulations, or zoning for required work
• Demonstrated clear logical written, verbal, and communication and presentation skills. Excellent Interpersonal skills to cooperate and work as a team
• Leader that seek and accepts responsibility and leads by example
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Safety & Compliance - Comprehends safety rules and procedures before beginning assignments, prioritizes safety and ensures compliance prior to start, completes construction according to Kiewit or Project standards, mitigates hazards, champions safety all the time
• Planning and Scheduling - Understands resources, requirements, time constraints and cost, logically sequence work and estimate time to completion, populates schedule with resource and cost, sets goals, adjusts for unexpected events or conditions, tracks and updates
• Management - Manages multiple priorities and teams to accomplish project and company goals. Tracks project scope, schedule, and budgets, and resolves critical issues
• Team Management – Labor relation + staff
• Knowledge of tools and technology -Identifies tools, equipment, or technology to complete a job and understands the cost and potential hazards with their use. Continually seeks the best alternatives
• High degree of integrity and understanding of ethical industry standards. Exercises judgment and uses sound principals to make decisions
• The position requires someone with the ability to quickly learn and understand various processes regarding Kiewit policies, procedures and software programs
• Ability to travel and relocate as business requires
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• FIELD ROLES ONLY May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.