Construction Project Engineer
Baton Rouge, LA
At Jacobs, we're not just building structures, we're helping our clients innovate and grow by designing, engineering, and executing the construction of their state-of-the-art facilities that are changing our world
The Project Engineer is responsible for diverse management, administration, and quality inspection tasks in support of a major project involving the installation of industrial mechanical and instrumentation systems. The position will support new construction in a secure campus setting and assist the client's onsite PM in acheiving project scope, schedule, cost, and quality objectives.
- Act as Owner’s Representative for capital projects execution at the Honeywell Baton Rouge site.
- Provide support for the management of projects through final project closure (including scope development, risk assessments, budgeting, engineering/design, procurement, construction execution, commissioning, startup, and project closure documentation).
- Manage construction contractors for execution of field work in the piping, mechanical, electrical & instrumentation, civil/structural disciplines.
- Advocate for strong safety awareness with a consistent implementation of policies and procedures and participate in construction safety audits and contractor safety meetings. Enforce strong safety culture and target zero Recordables.
- Prepare bid packages and requests for proposals (RFP) for materials, equipment, and services. Condition bids received to ensure lowest-cost vendor selection.
- Responsible for forecasting and managing capital expenditures monthly.
- Interface with key site and company personnel to make maximum use of available resources. Such functions will include, but not limited to, site engineering resources, purchasing, operations, systems, and business engineering, as well as equipment vendors, contracting firms.
- Oversee appropriate maintenance, retention, and modification of project records and controlled documents.
- Perform monthly goods receipts and invoicing reviews of equipment and service purchase orders.
- Perform project control activities such as estimating, cost control, scheduling updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mechanical and Electrical/Instrumentation Engineering.
- Minimum five (5) years of project engineering or project management work experience, preferably in chemical industry, continuous process plant or a design engineering firm.
- Basic understanding of industrial work practices as related to Health, Safety and Environmental impacts.
Ideally you'll also have
- Work experience in oil, petrochemical or chemical operating facilities.
- Previous experience in operations, process engineering, technology, maintenance, construction, construction management, or HSE.
- Previous experience in an operating industrial facility (chemical, petrochemical or other heavy manufacturing).
- Professional Certification desired
- Fluency in SAP software.
- Working knowledge of project management processes, including stage gate processes.
- Working knowledge of project control functions and their application to capital projects (Estimating, Scheduling and Cost Control).
- Project engineering or project management experience with multiple smaller projects simultaneously.
- Professional on-site construction monitoring services, including design reviews, project oversight, quality assurance, reporting and construction phase support.