Construction Project Engineer
The Project Engineer is responsible for supporting the project team and the daily administration of project planning, scheduling, subcontractor and vendor procurement, and project controls. Prepare construction schedules, subcontracts, submittals, work plans, and administrative plans for review. As needed and directed, the Project Engineer will support estimating and business development efforts.
- Review and understand all Owner Contract documents.
- Read, understand and adhere to the construction drawings and specifications.
- Coordinates closely with Project Manager to accurately administrate project documentation.
- Support project team to ensure all subcontractors and vendors have necessary documentation before starting work.
- Support the Request for Information (RFI) process proactively tracking down answers to key design/engineering questions and accurately logging the responses.
- Assist in managing the project submittal process in accordance with the construction documents and assuring approvals are received in advance of the date required to maintain the project schedule.
- Assist the Project Manager in risk evaluation, contract negotiations, fee, and pricing decisions.
- Work closely with project subcontractors to track and gather costs associated with project changes.
- Package and communicate costs to Project Manager for incorporation into change orders.
- Support subcontractor and client relationships in a positive manner.
- Assist the Project Manager with the overall project budget and job costs to ensure the project is profitable.
- Support with project safety and quality control.
- Assemble all project closeout paperwork including Operation and Maintenance (O&M) manuals, project warranties, material stock, training, etc.
- Assist with the punch list walk-through at the end of the project.
- Participate in monthly and/or weekly project review meetings with the project team and management.
- Participate and keep meeting minutes for all meetings as directed by the Project Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proficient knowledge of established construction practices, procedures, and techniques
- Aptitude to learn new computer programs, procedures and techniques
- Ability to write effective and persuasive business correspondence and understand such reports and correspondence when received from other sources
- Ability to professionally and effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers
- Strong communication skills; thorough and attentive to details; able to prioritize and multitask; proactive and deadline-oriented
- Ability to read and understand written and verbal direction, work orders, safety rules, operating and construction instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with customers, vendors, and employees at all levels of the organization
- Commitment to Excellence - Identifies what needs to be accomplished and takes action to achieve a standard of excellence beyond job expectations.
- Corporate Values - Understands, embraces, and integrates Doyon corporate values into everyday duties and responsibilities.
- Customer Service - Identifies and responds to current and future needs by providing excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Safety and Security - Promotes a safe work environment for co-workers and customers.
- Teamwork - Resourceful team player that builds, strengthens, and maintains collaborative relationships with others inside or outside the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering, or related field required.
- Understanding construction cost, scheduling, estimating, purchasing, and engineering principles and techniques, as well as accounting principles.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite of programs and scheduling software.
- Proven written and verbal communication abilities.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, construction drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The employee is subject to varied environmental conditions: Activities occur inside and outside. The majority of the work is performed in a jobsite office and professional office setting; however regular and frequent activities must be performed at a project jobsite. All activities require interfacing with a wide variety of people in differing functions, personalities, and abilities, as well as with both professional and non-professional backgrounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying items weighing up to forty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Travel required.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: It is Doyon’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
PREFERENCE STATEMENT: Doyon grants preference to qualified Doyon Shareholders first, and second to qualified shareholders of other Alaska Native corporations that grant a similar preference in all phases of employment and training, which include, but are not limited to hiring, promotion, layoff, transfer, and training.
PAY TRANSPARENCY STATEMENT: The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
Apply Online at www.doyon.com
We are a Federal Contractor and comply with the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law and the poster is available http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf. For questions on the job posting contact (253) 344-5300
If you need assistance or special accommodations during the application process, please contact the appropriate Human Resources Department at [email protected]
Only qualified applicants will be notified.