Construction Sales Store Manager-AMES Bilingual Preferred
Colonial Materials, Inc.
Ames Tools Corporation, a GMS Company is the leading provider of automatic taping and finishing (ATF) tools, supplies, and training to the professional drywall finishing industry.
GMS is the leading North American distributor of gypsum wallboard, acoustical ceiling products and other specialty building materials. Founded in 1971, GMS now operates a network of more than 250 distribution centers nationwide. For more information about GMS, visit www.gms.com or any one of our subsidiary company websites.
Responsible for managing the overall operation of the store, including tool rental, merchandise sales, inventory control, shipping & receiving, administrative and financial operations, safety and merchandising. Ensures store compliance with company policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for planning and executing on actions to ensure the store meets store rental revenue, sales and profitability goals
- Develop understanding of store financials to aid in planning actions to drive store performance
- Responsible for all phases of store opening/closing
- Responsible for using existing tools and personal judgement to plan inventory to maintain proper stock based on the demands of the market
- Inventory planning to ensure the store is properly stocked and merchandised
- Responsible for proper cash handling including balancing cash and credit card receipts and making bank deposits
- Solicits information from customers to let the merchandise team know what new or different products the store should stock to meet market demands
- Participate in testing and providing feedback on company initiatives as requested
- Merchandises products and organizes showroom & rear warehouse for safe & effective material handling
- Provides excellent customer service. Establishes relationships with customers to drive repeat rental and sales
- Responsible for generating revenue growth through effective marketing of the Ames line of automatic taping tools, parts & equipment as well as promotion of add-on sales with merchandise assortment.
- Recommend ideas for support from Region Management to help drive business
- Identify and propose opportunities for continuous improvement in both the store and in the company
- Boxes & ships tools to repair center & receives tool & merchandise shipments into inventory
- Processes sales/rentals via computer
- Collection duties as assigned
- Daily functions may include: greeting customers, processing rental & sales transactions, customer service, order processing, merchandising, inventory & tool audits, collections, housekeeping, data base development, cash handling/bank deposits & loss prevention, continuous improvement activities
- Interaction with the repair center for issues regarding quality of tools, timeliness of shipments, etc.
- Supervise Assistant Store Managers, Store Associates and Delivery drivers if additional personnel are assigned to the store
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies: Outstanding skills in customer service, suggestive selling skills, financial acumen, understanding of and ability to sell importance of service in the tool rental equation, inventory control experience, problem solving skills (both technical & financial) , good communications skills, both written and verbal, attention to detail, and ability to build relationships with repeat customers.
Travel Required: percentage of travel time expected for the position, where the travel occurs, such as locally or in specific countries or states, and whether the travel is overnight.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises the Assistant Store Manager and Delivery driver, if applicable. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; escalating concerns to the Regional Operations Manager, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and four plus years related experience. Must be at least 18 years of age.
Additional Eligibility: additional requirements such as certifications, industry-specific experience and the experience working with certain equipment.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems and make informed suggestions to prevent problems from recurring.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must have valid driver’s license. Forklift Certification is required in some stores and may be obtained post hire.
Other skills and abilities: Computer Proficiency required. Proficient in Outlook, Word, Excel and basic database operations, prior experience with a POS system helpful.
Other Qualifications: Must have strong operations, sales and customer service focus. Sales Managers are required to drive sales, manage receivables, accurately account for inventory and manage operations so the store meets profitability targets established by Ames Tools Corporation. Reliable transportation is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Must be able to see to use the retail POS system, receive inventory, assist customers in locating product, read and reply to email and perform other duties requiring vision. Must be able to hear and speak to customers, vendors, support team at S3C and others.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance
- Paid holidays & vacation days
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Launch your career with a national building materials distributor and discover opportunities for growth and advancement. Our people have the independence and authority to make a difference. We invest in relationships, and every person is important. Our highest priority is serving others. We passionately pursue a safe work environment along with a relentless focus on operational excellence. We believe you can never go wrong doing the right thing.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER