Consultant – Global Trade Compliance Import/Export Compliance Coordinator
Elanco Clinton Laboratories
As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
The Import/Export Compliance Coordinator is charged with ensuring that Global Development and Clinical Operations import, and export transactions are compliant with the laws and regulations of U.S. Customs and Border Protection and key Participating Government Agencies (PGA’s), principally the FDA, USDA, and EPA. In doing so, this role will provide the necessary compliance support and technical oversight for Global Development and Clinical Operations imports brought into the U.S. and exports out of the U.S. This includes classification expertise, U.S. Customs Value and Origin expertise. This role will serve as the primary point of contact with brokers, vendors and shippers responsible for exporting material to the United States and out of the United States on behalf of Elanco, even to third party operations as appropriate. This role would be responsible for coordinating the feedback and obtaining any needed information or documents from internal business partners needed to facilitate importation. This role will also assist in OUS-to-OUS shipments with the help of the appropriate regional Trace Compliance Coordinators.
Support Daily Import Operations. Engage business partners (e.g., R&D Outsourcing Consultants, R&D Scientists and Associates, Project Managers, Procurement, Shipping Dock, and Global Trade Compliance), Elanco Customs brokers, and third-party suppliers as needed, to plan and support all regulatory and logistical aspects of imports into the U.S., including but not limited to:
- Ensuring the appropriate value as defined by U.S. Customs has been assigned to the shipment
- Ensuring appropriate tariff classification and FDA product code/affirmations (as needed) are assigned
- Ensuring all PGA requirements are met
Tariff Classification. Engage business partners and utilize the Elanco tariff classification process to determine tariff classifications for all merchandise imported into the U.S.
Monitor and Respond to Environmental Changes. Elanco operates in a continually changing business and regulatory environment. Actively monitor the internal and external environment in collaboration with Global Trade Compliance to identify and address pending changes (e.g., new regulations, business, or organizational changes, etc.) Be active participant in assessment of the impact assessment for R&D and work with a wide variety of business partners to implement solutions.
Expertise in the use of SAP and/or other information systems to query and gather business data. Maintain proficiency in systems Global Development and Clinical Operations utilizes to purchase, track, receive, dispense, and transfer materials to and from production.
Compliance with Internal Controls. Adhere to corporate policies, and procedures and develop/maintain local tools to establish an effective import compliance internal control system within Global Development and Clinical Operations. Assist with building compliance into business partner processes and activities. Provide feedback and training to vendors and shippers as appropriate to continuously improve compliance.
Internal Audits and Self-Assessments. Participate in audit processes conducted by the Global Trade Compliance team in order to identify and correct potential compliance gaps and reduce the company’s risk and exposure to regulatory audit findings.
Cold Chain Assistance: Work with Global Logistics Cold Chain Consultant to
support cold chain shipments, to establish the most risk-free lane possible, including the ability to replenish shippers at ports when necessary. Ensure established lanes are documented in procedures and networked appropriately. Ensure all shipments in-transit are closely monitored, to prevent or mitigate delays or loss of product.
Shipment Compliance Issue Resolution: Work proactively with appropriate parties to resolve any customs clearance delays.
Shipment Tracking: Track shipments and respond quickly when issues arise. Work diligently with required parties to resolve any issues and provide status updates.
Record Keeping and Documentation. Maintain business records necessary to meet compliance requirements, working with internal and external business partners as appropriate. Create and maintain record keeping systems as necessary.
Network and Share Data. Establish and maintain a network with other Elanco areas that may support or affect daily import operations.
Identify and pursue opportunities with Global Trade Compliance to save Global Development and Clinical Operations duties and other fees on imports where appropriate and cost effective.
Export: Work with areas all Global Development and Clinical Operations, ensuring compliance with all U.S. export regulations.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required in area of chemistry, biology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related field
- A minimum of 3 years U.S. import compliance experience
- Proven working knowledge of the drug development process and supply chain practices
- Proficient in computer technology used in office and scientific areas, examples include
- Extensive knowledge Word and Excel
- Inventory management software such as SAP
- Other systems such as the Molecule Library, Orion, SciFinder, and ISIS
- Degree around Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field would be considered beneficial
- Knowledge of one or more business areas within Research and Development and sample management
- Analytical and critical thinking skills required; ability to objectively anticipate and recognize systemic problems, diagnose root causes, and develop multiple contingency plans
- Ability to influence without direct authority over others and foster effective working relationships with individuals at various levels and across a broad variety of organizations and activities
- Proven communication skills – able to communicate ideas and concepts, either written or verbal, in a clear, timely, and appropriate manner, this includes a strong customer focus.
- Display strong attention to detail
- A self-starter, able to multi-task and work independently, and effectively manage competing priorities
- Excellent attitude, high energy, enthusiastic, creative thinker
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status