Consumer Hired DSP
J. M. Murray
Consumer Hired Direct Support Professionals are hired directly by a family in need to provide direct service care to a consumer through the implementation of service and support plans.
CONSUMER HIRED DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL
CONSUMER EMPLOYER for SELF-DIRECTED SERVICESand dotted line to JM MURRAY Self-Directed Services Supervisor
FLSA Status: NON EXEMPT
DSP Status: YES
This job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of the job incumbents.
SUMMARY OF SELF-DIRECTION SERVICES
Through the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD), Self-Direction Services offer individuals with disabilities the option to choose their own services including the staff they want to work with and a schedule of services that meets their needs. Consumer Employers are assisted to interview and hire their own employees by their Support Broker. The JM Murray Self-Directed Services Supervisor assists Consumer Employers with ensuring that their employees complete their required training and document the services they provide according to the standards of OPWDD. The supervisor also reviews and processes payroll so that the Consumer Hired DSPs are paid for the work they perform.
The Consumer Hired DSP provides services to individuals through the implementation of staff action plans and documentation of data in order to address and support the needs and interests of the Consumer Employer.
- Performs the services and activities from the Staff Action Plan, as developed by the Circle of Support based on the specific needs and interests of the Consumer Employer.
- Upon hire and throughout employment, completes all required training through the JM Murray Learning Management System.
- Completes appropriate and timely documentation of services through the use of the JM Murray Electronic Medical Record, and the use of equipment such as a computer, laptop, and/or a tablet.
- If indicated as part of the Staff Action Plan, provides safe transportation and ensures that vehicles are clean inside, free of debris and maintained in a safe condition for providing services.
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality in order to provide quality direct support and service to individuals served. This position may perform hours in a variety of physical locations.
- Follows any applicable safety rules and regulations when providing services outside of the home; wears and/or uses personal protective equipment as local or state conditions require.
- Conducts all aspects of service delivery in compliance with OPWDD DSP Code of Ethics, JM Murray Corporate Compliance policies and procedures and the NYS and Self-Direction Services rules, regulations, and standards.
Consumer Employer and their Support Broker
JM Murray Self-Direction Services Manager
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED required
One year of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities preferred
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
Ability to lift, push, pull and move at least 50 lbs.
Ability to work independently and to communicate as part of a Circle of Support
Sound decision making skills and judgment
Good verbal and written communication skills, and efficient use of technology
Compassionate and caring
Requires a valid NYS Driver’s License that meets Company standards; requires proof of NYS
minimum insurance coverage.
Requires clearance through a Background Check process that will include, but is not limited to,
clearance through the NYS Justice Center, the Office of People with Development Disabilities
(OPWDD), the NYS Office of Child and Family Services, and the NYS Department of Motor
Job assignments may take place indoors and outdoors and require travel to various community locations, in various environmental conditions including rain, snow and cold weather.
Job-related physical abilities an individual must possess in order to perform the job in a satisfactory manner. In some cases accommodations may be made in accordance with JM Murray policy and with our mission.
25 -49 %
50 -74 %
75 –100 %
Standing/Walking/Mobility: Must be able to stand to operate equipment; mobility to embark and disembark from equipment.
Environmental Conditions: Must be able to work in an environment that includes, but is not limited to noise, cold, heat and odors.
External Conditions: Must be able to work in a position requiring exposure to the weather conditions.
Lifting: Must be able to lift unaided, at least 10lbs
Must be able to lift unaided, from 11-30lbs
Must be able to lift unaided, from 31-70lbs
Must be able to lift unaided, from 71-100lbs
Must be able to lift unaided, over 100lbs
Manipulating /Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to write, type, and use office and/or other equipment and handle materials.
I have reviewed this job description and I am able to perform the essential functions as outlined. I have discussed any questions I may have about this job description prior to signing this document.
Consumer Hired Direct Support Professional V2020.11.02