Control Systems Engineer – Alaska
PCE Pacific, Inc.
Take control of your career at Applied Control!
About Us: At Applied Control, employees enjoy a collaborative, team environment where we celebrate success and recognize and reward accomplishments. As such, we have been recognized as one of the Best Companies to Work for in Colorado. Our expertise is backed by Emerson, a leader in global manufacturing and technology. With a team of highly skilled automation professionals developing unique cost-saving solutions for our clients in oil & gas, refining, power, life science, mining, chemical, food & beverage, and alternative fuels, we help the world run more efficiently.
We offer rewarding careers, comprehensive benefits, and a culture that encourages growth and development. Our benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance of which Applied Control pays 75% of the premium, HSA and FSA options, supplemental, life, and disability insurance, 401k with employer match, paid holidays, and generous paid time off. Our employees also enjoy our 9/80 schedule which allows for 9-hour workdays and every other Friday off!
The Control Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting Applied Control's process control customers by applying knowledge of control system methodologies, instrumentation applications, information technology, and service techniques to ensure reliable control system operation and achieve customer satisfaction. This position is based in Alaska, with the engineer dispatching from their home. As service activities are performed onsite at customer facilities, this role requires frequent overnight travel.
Key Job Elements:
Facilitate startup and commissioning activities of new Emerson DeltaV Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and Flow Computers
- Work closely with customer to ensure site is prepared for major DCS related activities (shutdown, startup, upgrades etc.)
- Ability to provide onsite subject matter expertise regarding DeltaV.
- Advise customer regarding installation guidelines and standards (power/grounding, network set-up, etc.)
- Conduct Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) and other applicable evaluations of hardware and software.
- Configure, test, and troubleshoot as needed all components of DeltaV hardware and software, including integration between DeltaV and other installed systems (PLCs, MCCs, HMIs, Historians, etc.) components.
- Program Emerson Remote Operations Controller (ROC) and FloBoss flow computer hardware and software per customers need.
- Perform control loop checks and instrumentation check out.
- Ability to comply with customer safety standards and site access requirements, including the use of Personal Protective Equipment (respirators, googles, hearing protection, etc.) when visiting customer facilities.
Perform DCS and Flow Computer preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and engineering services.
- Work closely with customer to ensure installed DeltaV DCS is properly maintained and is kept in a high state of operational readiness. This includes, but is not limited to: troubleshooting, configuration, programming, and testing of equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Identify and install operating system and antivirus software and hardware firmware updates.
- Take power/grounding measurements to ensure proper DCS operation.
- Review system alarms and alarm history and addresses causes.
- Inspect DCS and flow computer components.
- Respond to, and correct, system failures and other DCS emergencies.
- B.S. in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent industry working experience
- Troubleshoot problems in a logical and timely fashion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interface with internal and external customers
- Knowledge of automation and distributed control systems including instrumentation, PLCs, and HMIs
- Proficiency in interpreting P&ID, electrical schematics, network architectures, and process control descriptions
- Experience with Emerson DeltaV DCS systems
- Experience with Emerson DeltaV Batch / SIS / MES
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows7/Server 2008 and Windows10/Server 2016
- Understanding of OSI PI, OPC and DCOM
- Comfortable integrating and troubleshooting Ethernet/Fiber optic/Wireless networks
- Understand general digital bus and HART technologies
- Experience with designing control panels, sizing power supplies, creating loop sheets, and developing wiring drawings for marshaling, I/O integration, and power distribution
Base Wage Range: $80,000-140,000 annual salary. Prior work or industry experience as well as job-related education and unique skills will be taken into consideration when setting the wage rate.
Other Variable Compensation: Eligible for additional incentive compensation including an annual profit share award and exempt overtime pay.