Le Mars, IA
Kemps is a farmer-owned brand of Dairy Farmers of America (DFA), a diary marketing cooperative owned by more than 12,500 family farmers. Since 1914, Kemps has provided families with fresh, delicious dairy products, fresh milk, frozen yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and frozen novelty treats.
By joining Kemps, you can help us continue to make a difference that matters. We care deeply about the well-being of our neighbors and friends, and we celebrate the diversity of our company and our world. It takes an incredible team to deliver the goodness of dairy and enrich our communities – come join us!
We are currently seeking a Cooler Supervisor to join our team in Le Mars, IA. In this role you will provide work direction and leadership to cooler employees within the guidelines of standard work rules, union contract provisions, and employment policies. Proactively communicates with Production, Sales, and Customer Service to ensure appropriate product levels are available for load-out and finished product is delivered accurately and on time. Holds self and others accountable for promoting safety rules and regulations and acts in accordance with the requirements for food safety and quality.
Shift: 1st, Tuesday-Saturday; 6:00 am - 4:00 pm with Sunday/Monday/Tuesday off
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Schedule assign work and provide clear direction to cooler employees. Coordinates the work efforts of employees to ensure that outgoing semi-trailers are loaded accurately and on-time to meet customer order requirements.
- Determine needed quantities of finished product and communicate those needs to Production.
- Anticipate current and future production needs through close communication with Sales and Production.
- Monitor incoming loads and invoices to identify damaged or erroneously delivered orders. Works with vendors, suppliers, and other Kemps employees to resolve discrepancies and solve problems.
- Ensure that procedures are followed so that finished products are loaded accurately.
- Notify appropriate department and/or personnel regarding shortages and late deliveries providing internal/external customer service.
- Work effectively with unionized employees to promote positive and productive working relationships. Understands and effectively applies work rules, union contract provisions, and employment policies. Administers discipline consistently and fairly. Works with Human Resources and plant management to resolve employee grievances. Actively communicates with employees through shift meetings and informal methods.
- May be involved with job transactions such as promotions and transfers. Involvement may include the documentation of union status changes such as position codes, pay rates, and union bids. May review and edit employee electronic time records.
- Actively promotes safe work behaviors and holds self and direct reports accountable for following safety rules and regulations. Conducts accident/injury investigations and sends reports of injury to HR in a timely manner to meet rapid reporting standards. May coordinate and/or facilitate plant safety meetings, training, and incentive programs.
- Understand and fulfills the requirements of SQF 2000 Level 3 code of regulation for food safety and quality. Manages policies, procedures and programs related to operations. Fosters continuous improvement to maintain the SQF 2000 Level 3 certification.
- Proactively looks for ways to increase operational efficiency and contain costs. Identifies and implements best practices in establishing SOP’s and managing labor. Thinks creatively and abstractly to develop alternative possibilities to drive improvement.
In addition to the above, may be assigned some or all the following Dispatcher responsibilities depending on plant needs:
- Provide drivers and cooler employees with loading procedures and load diagrams to maximize production and lout out efficiency.
- Maintain records on cooler inventory to ensure optimal stock levels. Enters inventory adjustments so that inventory is reflected in a timely manner. Performs end of period procedures to ensure accurate and timely closing of product inventories.
- Coordinate with distribution to resolve customer complaints, special deliveries and or order adjustments.
- Receive and enter in-coming finished goods into the JDE system to ensure timely and accurate inventory. Uses the inventory application system to minimize customer shortages and out-of-stocks. Enters and/or changes customer orders into the JDE system so that all product sales leaving the cooler are on a computerized load out ticket.
- Select and assign customer and branch orders by truck or route, releases those orders in proper sequence after building them in the inventory application system, and assembles delivery tickets and bills of lading.
- Direct spotters or yard personnel to move trucks or trailers to be unloaded or loaded.