Polygon Composites is seeking a Department Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate will have tactical leadership of teams in a manufacturing department to achieve safety, quality, and productivity objectives. This person will be reporting to the VP of Industrial Manufacturing, the Department Manager, directs and coordinates activities of industrial organization to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of operations and maximize profits by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. This role is 100% on site at our US 6 location in Walkerton, Indiana.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works closely with planning team and other leadership to coordinate workflow across the assigned department to produce quality products in a safe and efficient manner.
- Manages the workflow and coordination of the manufacturing environment, including materials and equipment to meet production targets in an efficient manner, minimize defects, scrap, overtime, and cost.
- Plans and coordinates department production schedules, production rates and capacity plans, processing methods and times.
- Leads the production supervisors to improve in the areas of safety, quality, delivery, productivity, cost, and morale.
- Maintains and promotes a safety conscious manufacturing environment.
- Leads communication of corrective action plans, resolutions, and quality results among the department.
- Analyzes reports and reviews provided by first-line supervisors.
- Conducts and presents annual performance appraisals for all direct reports.
- Acts as a mentor among production team members to create a professional and driven workforce.
- Assists in company/plant planning through department budget preparation, expenditure recommendations, and workforce forecasting.
- Reports issues regarding production, quality, maintenance, or personnel problems to direct manager.
- Performs other activities as needed or assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS – To perform this job successfully, the individuals must be qualified of the knowledge, skill and ability listed below:
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Must have at least 5 years of related manufacturing experience and at least 5 years of experience in management and supervision.
- Self-disciplined, structured, pays great attention to detail, and works well as part of a team.
- Must eagerly listen and respond to our production employees and lead our production supervisors to improve in the areas of Safety, Quality, Delivery, Productivity, Cost and Morale.
- Must be very strong in the use of MS Excel as a tool to manage our business.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be comfortable making a presentation.
- Must understand organizational dynamics and deliver results.
- Ability to prepare and interpret various metrics, and reports.
PHYSICAL DEMAND – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, climb, walk, use hands, talk and hear for a minimum of eight (8) hours a day.
- Supervised by department supervisor/leader regarding performance, priorities and quality.
- Ability to work and communicate with other individuals within the department.
- Follow all Company rules.