Design Engineer, Chassis/Body
Blue Bird Corp.
Fort Valley, GA
Blue Bird Corporation is a billion-dollar school bus manufacturer headquartered in Macon, GA with our manufacturing facilities located in Fort Valley, GA. Since 1927, our mission has been to design and build the world’s safest buses to get our children to and from school. The health and wellbeing of America’s schoolchildren is our top priority, and the electrification of our buses is an extension of that goal. By putting zero emissions buses on the road, we are able to improve the air quality our children breathe and turn our yellow buses “green.”
The Design Engineer is responsible for the design, release, and validation of school bus and activity bus components and systems, that may include but not be limited to: chassis mechanical systems, engines, transmissions, axles/drivelines, suspensions, exhaust, braking, fuel storage /delivery, body structures, flooring, doors, glass, hardware, and other miscellaneous accessories.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design and release new Blue Bird components/systems or update existing designs for chassis or body components/systems.
- Create 3D models for components and sub-systems using Catia v6 CAD software and 3DX.
- Validate and approve new product designs.
- Specify all installation requirements for chassis or body components/systems.
- Perform root cause analysis and determine corrective action measures for issues reported in-house or in the field.
- Conduct peer reviews and design for manufacture reviews with cross functional engineering teams.
- Acquire and enhance existing knowledge and skills.
- Drive adoption of design products that achieve safety, quality, timing, and cost targets.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with Powertrain systems, Drivelines, Brakes, Fuel Delivery Systems highly desired.
- Familiarity with regulated work or performance requirements such as FMVSS, MIL, etc.
- Previous experience conducting durability and vehicle dynamics evaluations of automobiles or Light/Medium Duty Trucks.
- Experience with designing structures with sheet metal.
- Experience with engineering design, quality, and problem-solving disciplines such as DFMEA, DVP&R, DFM, 8D, GD&T, etc.
- Experience with CAE tools, including simulations and FEA.
EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution, required – OR – 10 years’ work experience in technical role related to Chassis and Powertrain
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in Mechanical Design, Development, and Validation is preferred.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modeling, desired.
- SAE Formula team design experience, preferred.
- Occasional travel
- Occasional periods of standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Required wearing of appropriate PPE
- Exposure to hot/cold weather and loud noises in a production environment
- Frequent computer and telephone use
- Frequent communication with people throughout the day
*The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Blue Bird’s winning culture is fueled by our ability to respect, encourage, celebrate and embrace the unique perspectives of all of our employees. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer who is committed to providing all of our employees with a work environment free of discrimination or harassment. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, national, social or ethnic origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, past or present military service, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will be required to provide proof of employment eligibility at the time of hire.