Dir II- Eng
Fort Wayne, IN
Job DescriptionYou don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
In Controls & Avionics Solutions, you will have the opportunity to help define and develop the next generation of avionics – whether it is fly-by-wire flight controls, full authority digital engine controls, or power management.
BAE systems is seeking a business Area Quality Director in support of our Controls & Avionics Business area (CAS). Reporting to the Vice President of Quality in the Electronic Systems Sector (ES), this resource will lead quality assurance, continuous improvement, and lifecycle management. In this role, you will work closely with senior leadership to provide proactive, value-added solutions and program, factory, customer, and supply chain support. The successful candidate:
- Enjoys working with and coaching quality managers and business leaders to continuously improve, execute success across portfolios, programs and projects in a variety of U.S. locations.
- Has the ability to influence without authority at times, in a dynamic highly matrixed environment, and respond to changing customer and market demands quickly.
- Possess strong communication and presentation skills to facilitate effective communication at all levels of the organization and across multiple cultures as well as to the customer and partner communities.
- Needs to be a hands-on leader willing to take responsibility for resolving technical challenges, ensuring successful tactical execution, as well as creating and implementing the strategic vision
- Has an agile leadership style and able to adjust one’s approach to fit the situation as a driver, coach, mentor, or teacher.
- Experience managing consistency across several sites and able to leverage best practices through M&A activity.
- Ability to evaluate organization effectiveness and build teams working together to achieve common goals.
- A visible, influential leader who takes a collaborative approach with others and comes across as approachable.
- Relates well with individuals at all levels of the organization, builds appropriate rapport, constructive and effective relationships.
- Can diffuse even high-tension situations effectively.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide direction, supervision, and guidance to ensure alignment with quality policy, strategic objectives and organization goals that drive to Zero Defect plans and Strategy.
- Collaborate with senior leadership for planning, execution, and management of critical business performance, process improvements, and other strategic initiatives.
- Develops a highly capable quality assurance staff by recruiting, organizing and developing team.
- Champion innovative ideas impacting affordability and production on the factory floor.
- Develop and implement program quality plans and procedures.
- Manage compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and minimize risk to employees, customers, and liability to the business.
- Ensure products conform to established company and regulatory performance and quality standards.
- Review, analyze and report on quality discrepancies and data related to production.
- Lead integrated senior management teams to determine strategy and tactical deployment, improve performance, lower costs, and generate innovative solutions with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Investigate problems and develop disposition and corrective actions for discrepancies using proven RCCA techniques and driving sustainable preventive improvements.
- Interface with stakeholders to ensure requirements are met.
- Partners to implement corrective actions, dispositions, process optimization and modifications – makes the news, doesn’t just report the news.
- Highly collaborative with cross-functional teams
- Organizational skills – can marshal resources to get things done, orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal, use matrixed resources effectively and efficiently, and arrange information in a useful manner.
- Exhibits a high degree of technical credibility and communicates highly technical information in a simplistic and easily understandable way.
About BAE Systems Electronic SystemsBAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Required Skills and Education
- LSS Green Belt, prefer Black Belt certification
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering or Technical Field
- 12 years of relevant leadership experience in Engineering, Operations, and Quality, preferably with 5 years as a Quality Director
- 10 years of project, program and portfolio Quality Leadership and management experience in regulated industries, such as automotive or aerospace, commercial and defense hardware and software technology risk management
- Demonstrated mastery of the functional domain in Quality Sciences, strategies, standards and controls. Ability to guide implementation in appropriate applications through design and development into a high-mix/low-volume manufacturing and supply base.
- Strong written, analytical, and verbal communication skills
- AS9145 APQP/PPAP experience, implementation and maintenance internally through the product life cycle and with partner suppliers
- Collaborative, project management skills
- 5 years of experience with Best in Class Manufacturing Principles, techniques, and Zero Defect tools and processes
- Capable of influencing a wide range of audiences, demonstrated leadership skills to win support without direct reporting structure
- Formulate strategic vision, define implementation plan of action, execute to achieve success
- Track record of building teams across multiple locations with high levels of Quality acumen
- Ability to travel domestically up to 20% with a home office in one of the major CAS Business Area locations including Endicott NY or Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Preferred Skills and Education
- ASQ CMQ, CQE certification or similar
- Approachable hands-on style with the ability to engage with people at all levels of management. Customer experience and Quality Excellence
- Experience in leading matrixed direct and indirect teams
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting, retaining and promoting talent and creating a high performing organization.
- Must be able to demonstrate accomplishments in setting strategic direction, prioritizing tasks, overcoming obstacles, and achievement with high priority.
Typical Education and Experience.