Director, Drug Development Project Manager (Oncology) (Open)
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Director, Drug Development Project Manager:
The Project Manager partners with the Development Program Lead (DPL) to lead the Development Program Team (DPT) to successfully shape and execute the project and drug development strategies, as well as lifecycle plan. The Project Manager is accountable for the cross-functional execution of one or more integrated development plans including management of timelines, cost, quality, and risk mitigation. The Project Manager provides an independent voice to shape the project strategy and drive optimal decisions for the broader portfolio value. This position can be assigned to any therapeutic area and work on projects at any stage of development
Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Project Manager leads project management for one or more DPTs focused on our most complex, and high priority programs. In this capacity, they may provide oversight to other PMs.
- Partners with the Development Program Lead (DPL) to foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit
- Leads creation of team norms and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability, and robust analysis of vetted options
- Acts as an integrator within the Development Program Team (DPT) and across the enterprise to ensure alignment and connect best practices.
- Facilitates effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios as needed. Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their impacts and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner
- Adds strategic value by deriving insights and has the ability to influence projects against those insights
- Highlights interdependencies and downstream impacts of strategic decisions
- Proactively identifies risks and ensures mitigation plans are implemented
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project
- Advises on governance expectations with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability, and develop talent pipeline for DPT membership
- May coach and/or mentor more junior PMs and/or PM talent pipeline via rotations and other types of engagements
- Acts as a change Agent for continuous improvement and transformational initiatives
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner
- Acts a leader in the PM organization to help build cross-portfolio capability by sharing best practices, connecting across the portfolio, and coaching more junior PMs
PM Team Leader:
- As business conditions require, Director level PMs may additionally server as a PM Team Leader, with direct reporting responsibility for 3-5 individual contributor PMs
- Key expectations of the PM Team Leader are to
- Provide day to day mentoring and coaching of direct reports on PM core competencies and behaviors
- Ensure new tools and processes are embedded effectively by their direct reports
- Serve as the manager for direct reports for career development, performance management, and all HR matters
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Physical sciences or relevant discipline, advanced degree preferred
- Five (5) or more years of demonstrated drug development project management experience with 7+ years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry (i.e. clinical operations, discovery, CMC, regulatory affairs)
- Breadth of drug development expertise with solid understanding of project strategy, interdependencies and disease content to contribute to strategic discussions
- The ideal candidate for Late Development will have experience with operational study start-up into Registrational/Phase 3 trials with a deep understanding of the necessary steps required for NDA/BLA submissions in the US, EU and Japan.
- Broad range of leadership skills including situational leadership and ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and support scenario planning to achieve goals/timelines
- Excellent Project Management Skills – drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.ID:uDnQdo