Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter Technology’s high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter Technology’s wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing.
DIRECTOR – FP&A located in Raleigh, NC
PRIMARY DUTIES for the Director, FP&A
Director FP&A role is relied on to provide insights and recommendations to Senior Management into the performance of the business, significant trends, competitor analysis and key performance indicators and leading improvements to the overall financial planning and analysis function.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Quarterly close. Prepare reporting package for quarterly P&L close. Run and refine process to flash results early in the close cycle. Support quarterly external reporting, including earnings releases and earnings call support information. Provide value-added insight into the business. Prepare reporting packages including comprehensive Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting, analysis of key business trends, actual versus forecast and plan variances and comprehensive executive level analyses.
- Lead creation of forecast packages, forecast models and Board of Directors summaries and Earnings Release presentations.
- Drive towards achievement of bookings, revenue, spending, and EPS forecasts in partnership with various other functional and corporate teams on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Apply effective processes and methodologies to collect forecast information and supplement with statistical analyses. Hold business units accountable to achieving their financial commitments on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Lead the financial planning process, partnering with corporate and business unit leaders to shape business priorities and develop financial plans to execute against those priorities. Assess budget and investment requests.
- Partner with business leaders to expand and further develop competitor, market and industry financial analysis.
- System and process requirements. Actively own key finance and business processes including modifying and improving a company-wide financial planning system. Provide a high level of thought leadership to drive improvements across IT systems supporting financial processes and reporting automation. Lead projects to enhance the reporting and analytical infrastructure, including influence and oversight on the overall architectural approach, management reporting approach, and production/automation of reporting and analytics.
- Ad-hoc support. Provide financial modeling and decision support financial analysis for various ad-hoc financial projects.
- Critically assess business unit financial forecasts and annual plans to ensure accuracy and drive accountability and performance-based results.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED for the Director – FP&A
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Business required. MBA and/or CPA or CFA preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in financial planning, business analysis and strategy, preferably in industrial manufacturing arena.
- Background in corporate finance, corporate FP&A, business unit FP&A, field finance.
- Strong hands on financial modeling, spreadsheet and database skills.
- Ability to do analyses “on-the-spot” with senior management.
- Capable of hands-on presentation of BOD quality PowerPoint presentations.
- Experience with SAP, Hyperion Planning and Hyperion Financial Management, or other planning tools is a plus.
- Proven ability to work in team culture that fosters learning, teamwork and work-life balance
PREFERRED for the Director – FP&A
- Strong project management, planning and organization skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management, planning, and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take charge of complex projects with minimal direction and develop new strategies and new ways of approaching business challenges independently.
- Strong independent analytical and strategic thinker and influencer.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven ability to communicate complex issues in concise and easy to understand manner to all levels in an organization (communicate up and down).
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to work as both an individual contributor or as part of a team that may span functional and business reporting structures.
- Team player and Self-starter and highly proactive in reaching out to business units and functional organizations.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation’s policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.