Director of Commercial Product
The Washington Post Co.
The Director of Commercial Product is responsible for steering the vision and guiding the development for The Washington Post's growing suite of ad products across multiple devices, platforms & partnerships. You will lead a team of product managers, designers and engineers to design, plan and build the ad product pipeline. You'll be able to seamlessly collaborate across Core Product & Engineering, Sales, and Marketing to deliver best in class commercial product. You will effectively and succinctly communicate the overall ad product strategy internally and to the broader market. Success will require building and maintaining strong relationships with key internal and external partners across Business, Technology & Analytics and will ultimately be defined by products shipped, as well as adoption, efficacy and revenue from the ad product suite.
WE WILL TRUST YOU TO:
- Set a vision for our ad product strategy, balancing innovative products with user empathy to drive revenue and engagement for The Washington Post
- Drive the ad product roadmap across a suite of cross channel products covering but not limited to video, rich media, custom content, data & targeting and tech performance
- Work with The Post’s Head of Commercial Data Strategy to advance our work across identity and first party data into opportunities for our clients.
- Develop a team of product managers and technical designers, and work closely with engineering partners to create a creative, collaborative and efficient work environment
- Develop and execute training for the wider client solutions team to proficiently educate the marketplace when it comes to our products and their capabilities
- Proactively ensure that the sales and operations teams are educated on new and innovative strategies and continually inspire teams to raise the bar strategically, creatively and operationally
- Work closely with core product, design and engineering to ensure that the commercial experience across products & platforms is designed to prioritize the user experience
- Develop our current product suite, bringing a sharp eye for business success metrics feedback loop with the market to steer evolution of the product portfolio.
- Identify new digital monetization opportunities from industry trends and challenges, and perform market/competitive analysis to inform product decisions and roadmap
- Partner with our pricing, planning and sales groups to strategize and develop products that improve adoption and business outcomes across all The Post’s advertising revenue streams
- Be seen as a thought leader in the ad community and represent The Washington Post at industry events
What You Have
- Product, data, and business background to analyze results and develop a strong narrative around actionable data, creating recommendations and buy-in from stakeholders
- Passion for creating innovative and engaging consumer products in the digital ecosystem
- Vision to anticipate evolving advertising and consumption trends, and proactive intuition around support of advertiser needs
- Empathy for the user and a curiosity for identifying their needs to uncover areas of opportunities
- Ability to interact and communicate clearly and effectively with Ad Sales, Marketing and Product stakeholders at various levels of seniority
- A business mindset to balance short-term and long-term revenue opportunities.
- Flexibility to quickly adapt to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines
- Proven successful to manage multiple projects simultaneously with tight schedules
- Understanding of the commerce/subscription landscape and experience with related user flows is a plus
- 10+ years of experience in a product management role within digital product
- 5+ years of experience managing a team dedicated to digital products that drive revenue with a proven understanding of user needs and behaviors
- Experience managing products through the full life cycle: strategy, development, launch, optimization, sunset
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities, experience doing data analysis to support business decision making
- Technical fluency to know how to communicate with engineers, ask pertinent questions and give clear direction as it relates to outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
Nine paid holidays and two personal days
20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
Robust mental health resources
Backup care and caregiver concierge services
Gender affirming services
Free Post digital subscription
Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
The Washington Post includes salary ranges for certain positions to comply with local pay transparency laws. The salary range for this position is:$169,100.00 - $281,900.00
The actual salary within this range will depend on individual skills, experience, and qualifications as they relate to specific job requirements. This position may be eligible for a bonus or incentive program, and a member of the Talent Acquisition team will discuss bonus payment terms and conditions during the interview process.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?