Director of Production Audit
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Culver City, CA
Director of Production Audit
We are looking for a talented individual to join our team as Production Auditor. In this role, you will be responsible for performing internal production audits, as well as managing 3rd party Guild, MPIPHP, and Union-related audits and grievances. You will also be a key stakeholder in the development and management of accounting policies and procedures related to the production of original content.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in financial accounting and reporting, and will work closely with our company's finance leadership, production teams, and executives. The successful candidate must be highly motivated, innovative, and passionate about content creation and physical production. They must possess exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as a deep understanding of tax credits, financial systems, and labor/union requirements.
The ability to multitask and manage diverse projects with exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail is critical. This individual must be able to think on their feet, pivot quickly when necessary, and be non-political with impeccable ethics.
A key component of this role is the development of a world-class production finance operations team, which will require the candidate to be hands-on, entrepreneurial, and systematic. The successful candidate will be a strategic partner to management teams enterprise-wide, offering sound advice and influencing decisions that have a significant business impact.
If you are ready to take on this exciting challenge and have a deep passion for content creation and production, we encourage you to apply for this unique opportunity to work with our dynamic and creative SPT Production Finance team.
- Manage guild, tri-guild and other production related audits performed by guild, unions and plans across the industry.
- Review payroll and financial records to ensure proper payment of wages, benefits, and contributions to union health and pension funds.
- Investigate and resolve audit disputes related to union rules and agreements
- Advise production teams on union rules and regulations, providing guidance and support as needed.
- Analyze and interpret union contracts to ensure compliance with all relevant terms and provisions as it relates to audit findings.
- Prepare internal production audit reports and communicate findings to management.
- Attend union meetings and conferences to stay up-to-date on changes to union regulations and agreements.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with union representatives, labor relations, 3rd party production auditors, production teams, and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures related compliance, policies and procedures and auditing processes.
- Ensure that the SPT financial controllership and production policies and procedures are uniformly implemented operationally and that Payroll/AP/Reporting are in accordance with standards established by SPT. Perform on-site production audit as needed.
- Liaise with Labor Relations, Production Finance, Internal Audit, Finance Ops, Treasury, and IT to ensure policies are current and effectively implemented.
- Approve and authorize various accounting procedures.
- Assist in the training and mentoring of production finance staff the goal of developing stellar talent.
- Candidate will consult on deal structure for contracts.
- Travel to production locations to perform on-site compliance reviews, organizational abilities and effectiveness of accounting staff.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry trends pertaining to union MOA updates, rate increases and compliance issues.
- Knowledge of union contracts and regulations, including those of SAG-AFTRA, IATSE, WGA and DGA.
- Strong understanding of payroll and accounting practices, including production accounting software such as Entertainment Partners or Cast and Crew.
- Familiarity with tax incentives and credits related to film and TV production.
- Experience with auditing and financial reporting, including the ability to identify errors and discrepancies.
- Familiarity with accounting principles and financial statements.
- Ability to use various software applications for data analysis, reporting, and communication, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of union health and pension funds, including how they operate and how to calculate contributions.
- Understanding of production processes and workflows.
- Familiarity with labor laws and regulations related to the entertainment industry.
- Ability to interpret and understand legal documents, such as union contracts and agreements.
- Education: BA/BS degree; MBA, CPA, JD or equivalent graduate degree preferred.
- Candidate must have 7+ years of film and/or television industry production accounting experience
- Willingness to travel (domestic and international) and work extended hours if needed.
- Must be willing to submit to background check.
- Must have work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be willing to work in Culver City, CA.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels of the organization, including upper management.
- Passionate about original programming and dedicated to building and refining new business models.
- Strong understanding of payroll processes, union and non-union labor practices, and tax requirements.
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams.
- Highly analytical with excellent communication skills.
- Enthusiastic about complex problem solving and analysis using financial applications, with a particular focus on advanced Excel skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of academic curiosity, and a focus on generating results.
- Exhibits the highest personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $128,100 to $171,300. This role may also qualify for annual incentive and/or comprehensive benefits. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location of the position.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
*As part of our commitment to health and safety, all U.S. non-union and O.P.E.I.U. Local 174 applicants and employees must submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request and obtain approval of a reasonable accommodation based on disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance. To request an accommodation for purposes of participating in the hiring process, you may contact us at [email protected] - Culver City - Studio Lot - CA01